Glass-holes.com overflow

So I recently purchased a complete 220 Gallon tank. It included a Glass-Holes.com overflow. Was just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of overflow and any tips/tricks associated with it. Their website has very limited information for it. Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple pictures of the overflow.
20171125_164637.jpg
20171125_164631.jpg
20171125_164616.jpg
20171125_164612.jpg

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
So I recently purchased a complete 220 Gallon tank. It included a Glass-Holes.com overflow. Was just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of overflow and any tips/tricks associated with it. Their website has very limited information for it. Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple pictures of the overflow.
View attachment 59482
View attachment 59483
View attachment 59484
View attachment 59485
Not much to them, the holes is make the drains quiet. You can add a gate valve on one of the drains and keep the other as an emergency drain.

From the rear. The left is main drain, the right is emergency. Before setting up in house. Set it up as if it were running in your garage and play with valve settings on drain and return, (I would NOT put valves behind tank where you cannot access them easily). Make marking on valve settings when you get them where you think they run best. Think of plumbing route in stand for maintenance. See what happens if you were to lose power and what happens when the power comes back on. DON'T glue anything. Only after you have all that figured out and know what, where, and how it all works move it into house. Of course there will be fine tuning but everyone fiddles with their tank tweaking things. Now is the time to figure out fail safes.

From the rear. The left is main drain, the right is emergency. Before setting up in house. Set it up as if it were running in your garage and play with valve settings on drain and return, (I would NOT put valves behind tank where you cannot access them easily). Make marking on valve settings when you get them where you think they run best. Think of plumbing route in stand for maintenance. See what happens if you were to lose power and what happens when the power comes back on. DON'T glue anything. Only after you have all that figured out and know what, where, and how it all works move it into house. Of course there will be fine tuning but everyone fiddles with their tank tweaking things. Now is the time to figure out fail safes.
Thanks for the heads up. My plan was to get the tank set up in my garage with just hose water and get everything dialed in before moving it over. What's the purpose of an emergency drain?

If for some reason the main drain were to get clogged. Had one on my first tank set up following the Herbie method for about four years. Never had a problem. I don't consider them anymore since learned and make sure there is no access to my overflow except by something that fits between the teeth of the overflow assuring it'll make it down to the sump. If I were you I would make a cover for the overflow to keep fish and snails from flipping or crawling into it making sure it can't happen. Or as I have on some set ups used a strainer of sorts so nothing gets in pipe.

I only learned this after having read stories of people that didn't know their primary overflow was partially blocked and that they were unwittingly using their emergency for the extra water that didn't make it into the primary. Then another animal got into the emergency drain and they had an overflow. Wasn't until they took everything apart to find both had snails in them and the pump out paced the drains. Talking about pump. I also use screens on my pumps to keep things out of it too.

Now people are using multiple emergency drains which gets redundant. Just take care of the problem in the beginning and they're not needed. These are purely all my own thoughts. Not really, not true at all. Someone elses I copied. So disregard that.

Gotcha. I see what your saying about putting a cover over it. It has a cover that goes over the top of where the bulkhead are. Would that be sufficient? Or should it cover the entire top of the overflow?

Cover the overflow box inside tank. Make it about a 1/4 inch larger on all sides. If I could post a picture somehow I would. See plenty of them on the web, just don't know how to copy and paste anymore or things have changed.