Fluval FX4 for 125g tank?

Xycron

I just picked up a 125g tank, which has a sump, but I was thinking about adding a canister filter to it as well.

Do you guys think a Fluval FX4 is too big of a filter for a 125g tank? I do like overkill - but I'm wondering if this will be too much waterflow and disrupt things.

BeanMachine

Supporter
I just picked up a 125g tank, which has a sump, but I was thinking about adding a canister filter to it as well.

Do you guys think a Fluval FX4 is too big of a filter for a 125g tank? I do like overkill - but I'm wondering if this will be too much waterflow and disrupt things.
If it has a sump I wouldn't use a canister filter. Just get an appropriately sized protein skimmer.

A sump is sort of like an open top canister filter.
A canister filter makes a decent media reactor (although, largely overpriced unless had for a better deal) if the sump you own does not have a good drop weir/return overflow gap/MEDIA CHAMBER for you to otherwise an adequate amount of that stuff in.

Largely overpriced, though.

Sent from my 1+3t

ShaneTX

Personally I feel canister filters only add extra (unnecessary) work to a tank without much benefit. I haven't used one in probably 10+ years so I'm sure they have made improvements, but i always remember the drag it was to open them with out getting water everywhere, and then changing the media was a whole other hassle.
IMO you best bet is a simple reactor (like two little fishes phosban reactor) for simplicity in maintenance and function!

Latest posts