Calcium Reactor Media

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I'm about 6 months in for using a CaRx and noticed that my parameters are slowly rising. The amount of CO2 being injected hasn't changed nor my effluent rate. Is it possible the that the media is melting quicker because it's saturated with acidic water for 6 months or so?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Has the PH in the reactor changed since? I would think the ph in the chamber would tell you that the acidity in the chamber has increased. Also, has the ph in your tank decreased? I know higher ph in the water column tends to consume more alk

What regulator are you using? It is possible that the CO2 tank pressure is low enough that a single stage reg can have "bleed through" causing more CO2 in the reactor.
Just a thought....

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Has the PH in the reactor changed since? I would think the ph in the chamber would tell you that the acidity in the chamber has increased. Also, has the ph in your tank decreased? I know higher ph in the water column tends to consume more alk
No, the pH in the reactor and the ph in the tank have been pretty consistent. At most, it drifts +/- .02 throughout the day.

What regulator are you using? It is possible that the CO2 tank pressure is low enough that a single stage reg can have "bleed through" causing more CO2 in the reactor.
Just a thought....
I built a custom dual stage regulator following the Alan Le model. The pressure of the tank shows about 800 psi. I've heard about the single stages "dumping" all the CO2 when getting low which inspired me to build the dual stage.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Any algae issues that were resolved or a recent cleaning of coralline? Also, how is the effluent being pumped into the system?

Latest posts