LED reccomendations for 125g reef tank?

Xycron

My tank is 125g, 48" long and 30 something wide. under 20" high

Right now, my tank just has two T5 bulbs. I'd like to upgrade to LED. Right now, my tank is just live rock and whatever came on the live rock but I intend to have corals in the future - exactly the corals I want I'm still researching, but I'm okay with not being able to have the highest light need corals. I don't want to end up super restricted in what I can get, though.

Ideally, I'd like to just have one light figure, but I can live with several smaller ones if I need to.

Any suggestions for LED lights to cover my 125g?

I've been researching for a while but I find so much conflicting information on everything...

Thanks!

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Kessils and sbars

Duraace9sp

2020 Philanthropist
Orphek Atlantic V4 by a mile. Those not on board are likely not familiar with them. One will do it while the radio a need 2. Check out BRS for their review of the Atlantic v4.

Im going to change my oTher tank to this LED

To cover that size tank you'll need 3 orphek fixtures. It'll only cost you around $6000 good luck with them. Radions are tried and true also for 1/2 the cost

Duraace9sp

2020 Philanthropist
To cover that size tank you'll need 3 orphek fixtures. It'll only cost you around $6000 good luck with them. Radions are tried and true also for 1/2 the cost
Actually that is not correct. I have a 120 with 1. The fixture itself is 24 x 12 and covers the tank well...tank is 48x24x24. But then you know best so I defer........

There are smaller and cheaper compact versions of the V4. That noted I have no stake in any of this.....good reefing to you all

Actually that is not correct. I have a 120 with 1. The fixture itself is 24 x 12 and covers the tank well...tank is 48x24x24. But then you know best so I defer........

There are smaller and cheaper compact versions of the V4. That noted I have no stake in any of this.....good reefing to you all
Thats funny how I contacted orphek directly about my 36x30x22 tank and they told me I needed 2 fixtures to properly cover my tank and a 3rd fixture if I had a 48" tank. Wish I still had the emails to back up my claims, but if your only argument is, "you know best" then in this case, I completely agree that I know better than you.
Anyhow, best advice I can give is look at your budget and see what you can afford. I've seen many successful tanks using the cheap chinese LEDS, AI's, razors, ap700's, kessils, radions, ect. I prefer radions myself because of the controllability with the reeflink and never had any issues with them. The g4 pros have an amazing spread compared to the other versions. Everyone has their preferences and none of them will be a bad choice. It'll all depend on what you can afford and how easily you want to access and control your lights.