Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orbela View Post
    I thought they don’t hibernate? I can’t picture myself when the tortoise is old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Mom's definitely do. They may come out during the winter if it's a sunny day. Otherwise they sty in their den and don't come out or eat.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilscandy View Post
    My Mom's definitely do. They may come out during the winter if it's a sunny day. Otherwise they sty in their den and don't come out or eat.
    I have mine a tank since it still about ~3inches but I notice hit goes into hiding when it might or gets too cold

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have mine a tank since it still about ~3inches but I notice hit goes into hiding when it might or gets too cold

Yeah, they're less likely to hibernate now since they're inside and in the tank. Once they get bigger and you have them outside, they'll hibernate this time of year. Even now if they do come out on a sunny day for a few, they just absorb a little sun then head back to their cave. They won't even eat right now.

Sergeant of Marines
    Name
    John
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they're less likely to hibernate now since they're inside and in the tank. Once they get bigger and you have them outside, they'll hibernate this time of year. Even now if they do come out on a sunny day for a few, they just absorb a little sun then head back to their cave. They won't even eat right now.
    That’s not hibernating. That’s not even brumating. But ok. You’re the expert.

5. Likes gumbii liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    That’s not hibernating. That’s not even brumating. But ok. You’re the expert.
    Wow John, that was a little rude. What was that about? I never I said I was an expert. I was speaking of my Mom's tortoise's behavior. So what then do you call staying underground in a cave all winter and not eating if not hibernation??

Sergeant of Marines
    Name
    John
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow John, that was a little rude. What was that about? I never I said I was an expert. I was speaking of my Mom's tortoise's behavior. So what then do you call staying underground in a cave all winter and not eating if not hibernation??
    Reptiles are incapable of hibernation. They do not self regulate body temperature. The physiological change to the body to go into a deep sleep through its own adjustment in temperature does not happen.

They slow down. They have a reduced appetite. But this is a response to the environment, not a bodily function that is self produced. Many reptiles brumate. Sulcatas do not even do that. They will go into a partial form. But, even as you described, going in and out of a burrow alone means it’s not “hibernating.”

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    Reptiles are incapable of hibernation. They do not self regulate body temperature. The physiological change to the body to go into a deep sleep through its own adjustment in temperature does not happen.

They slow down. They have a reduced appetite. But this is a response to the environment, not a bodily function that is self produced. Many reptiles brumate. Sulcatas do not even do that. They will go into a partial form. But, even as you described, going in and out of a burrow alone means it’s not “hibernating.”
    Well, in and out wouldn't be accurate. As I already said, they might come out for a few minutes on a warm sunny day, but rare. They are down in the cave for basically the winter. Call it whatever you'd like. That's what they do. Stay in their cave and don't eat all winter. OMG LOL

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

because i snows in the southern edge of the sahara desert... LMAO...

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbii View Post
    because i snows in the southern edge of the sahara desert... LMAO...
    You can laugh and act like an ***, but it still doesn't change what they do all winter. Furthermore, I was discussing with Orbela the behavior of our tortoises every winter. So I guess you and everyone else with Sulcata's say that yours stay out, active, and eating all winter, regardless of weather or temps? Still doesn't change what ours do every winter. We've had them for about 10 years.

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

just like all them iguanas in florida hibernating in trees... LMAO...

I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

btw, i am an a-hole... a huge one... but IDGAF... i say whatever i want... if you don't like it, don't look at it...

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, you carry a long standing reputation here. I've never had an issue with you. But your belittling attitude towards for no reason is really crappy. Next time you're in GG swing by. I'm happy to show you since you think I'm making it up lol.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, you carry a long standing reputation here. I've never had an issue with you. But your belittling attitude towards for no reason is really crappy. Next time you're in GG swing by. I'm happy to show you since you think I'm making it up lol.
    Hahaha for a little bit I thought it was going to be a fight offer. Guess my middle school came out.

It might be there hide out is warmer than the outside and they rather stay indoor then go eat outside. Have you tried putting food inside? Every animal is different so it doesn’t surprise me they are oddballs. That what drives evolution.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha for a little bit I thought it was going to be a fight offer. Guess my middle school came out.

It might be there hide out is warmer than the outside and they rather stay indoor then go eat outside. Have you tried putting food inside? Every animal is different so it doesn’t surprise me they are oddballs. That what drives evolution.

Lol, no fight haha. As for food, no, they don't eat all winter. My Mom offers food, but they're not interested in the slightest. This has been their routine every winter. A lot of people build outdoor houses for theirs when they get bigger. These guys started digging out their den years ago. It just gets bigger as they've grown. So, hibernation for lack of a better scientific term, but yeah, they stay underground all winter and will not eat. Even on a rare sunny day when they do come out, which is very rare, they will not eat. I'm by no means a tortoise expert lol, I was just telling you what these guys do every year.

16. Thanks orbela thanked for this post
    Likes orbela liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, no fight haha. As for food, no, they don't eat all winter. My Mom offers food, but they're not interested in the slightest. This has been their routine every winter. A lot of people build outdoor houses for theirs when they get bigger. These guys started digging out their den years ago. It just gets bigger as they've grown. So, hibernation for lack of a better scientific term, but yeah, they stay underground all winter and will not eat. Even on a rare sunny day when they do come out, which is very rare, they will not eat. I'm by no means a tortoise expert lol, I was just telling you what these guys do every year.
    It’s really cool how they are able to adapt to our climate. Wonder if Africa were to get cold would they adapt the same. Maybe it’s in there evolutionary dna to slow down drastically like many of their cousins. They been healthy it’s a good observation

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information