Sergeant of Marines
    Name
    John
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    You missed the "figure of speach" part pertaining to the comparison of the simple example of a true hobbyist and the addict no matter what the subject matter is in relation to both have a hard time giving up what it is that they are into.

Besides you contradicted yourself by stating they may "coincide" and "a hobby can become an addiction". That there would be considered a good definition of correlation.

I never said it was an addiction. Just said that there are hobbyists that consider it an addiction. And to them it may be. So in reality a hobby might be addicting as you said. Thus they correlate to some.

Just like Gumbii is addicted to nothing but everything at the same time. If I knew how to ad his quote to this quote I would. But that is beyond my quoting capabilities.
    lol

Let's try this again.

Stating that breathing is a hobby and that the definition of a hobby is "something you can't live without" are not figures of speech. They were imphatic statements. You continued to attempt to argue that participating in a hobby is like an addiction.

My point was clear and non-contradicting. They CAN coincide, but they do not correlate. You can have an addiction that is NOT a hobby. And you can have a hobby that is NOT an addiction. SOMETIMES, you can. Correlation means they trend in the same direction. These are two different lines that can sometimes seem similar but are not related. Addictions are also considered a medical condition; having a hobby is not. Yes, sometimes the SYMPTOMS or APPEARANCES can be similar but that does not mean the definitions are the same. Further, addictions are usually descriptive of something "bad" because it is something (most of the time) people are TRYING TO quit. Not so with hobbies. A hobby CAN become an addiction. But this is neither a correlation or causation - as I stated before. Another way to say it - coincidence is not correlation.

You have your facts wrong. You have your definitions wrong. This is not a matter of opinion. This is not a figure of speech.

In reference to having a hard time giving up something, I think you're now confusing "hobby" with "habit."

2. Likes gumbii liked this post
    Sergeant of Marines
    Name
    John
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    No such thing as a garbage hobby, it's only garbage to you if you don't enjoy the hobby yourself. I'm going on my 8th year in this hobby, I'm sure most of you have probably been in it much longer than me. To me it's not a hobby or an addiction, it's something that gives me pleasure. It's like my place of zen... Whether I'm cleaning it or just staring at it, never gets old. It's meditating and relaxing to me, that's why I'm still in it. I can be in a pissed off mood, I'll go **** with my tank and honestly it calms me down. I have my moments in the forums were I constantly stay on and post, comment, etc., and then I have moments were I taper off for a while. But i always come on here no matter what, lurk, read threads, buy live stock or dry goods, etc. But none of you guys can expect this forum to pop eternally, like anything else time will pass and hobbies, forums, sites eventually die off. We all put our part in to try and keep it alive, even if it's once or twice a year. At the end of the day, I enjoy this hobby for myself, don't think I need to be a part of any of this to begin with, making build threads, posting pics to be considered a hobbyist, but here we all are lol and on the upside you can also post your plants in here on top of that, and make it a multi hobby forum. That reptile thread was pretty cool, made me want to get a turtle

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Seen
    Some people make a hobby of collecting junk. I think that could qualify as a "garbage hobby." lol

I think my wife would argue a lot of my hobbies are "garbage" based on the amount of trash I produce. haha

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

You missed the "figure of speach" part pertaining to the comparison of the simple example of a true hobbyist and the addict no matter what the subject matter is in relation to both have a hard time giving up what it is that they are into.

Besides you contradicted yourself by stating they may "coincide" and "a hobby can become an addiction". That there would be considered a good definition of correlation.

I never said it was an addiction. Just said that there are hobbyists that consider it an addiction. And to them it may be. So in reality a hobby might be addicting as you said. Thus they correlate to some.

Just like Gumbii is addicted to nothing but everything at the same time. If I knew how to ad his quote to this quote I would. But that is beyond my quoting capabilities.
    i didn't know i was mentioned here... i rarely read people's post that are longer than a sentence... LMAO...

but you don't understand what an addiction is.. i've worked with people that are addicted... even lived with them when i was homeless... seen what they do... an addiction is something that controls your life... i don't think any of us forum members are willing to lose our homes, families, friends over reef tanks... LMAO... when people are addicted to cigarettes, they die... they know they are going to die... same with drugs... same with gambling... they know the consequences, but don't care... i've been to MANY many homes since i first started reefing... i've been to one home that the dude was straight addicted... had a couch in his apartment, and frag tanks everywhere... didn't sell anything, would just buy... buy multiples... wife left him, he was half fighting for his son... it was bad... he moved out of state, so i know he won't read this.. but i hope he fixed his life... and like i said before, there are hoarders... with closets, rooms, kitchens, living room and garages full of unused equipment and tanks... they buy because they have too... it fills an emptiness in their life... they're depressed, and buying crap makes them happy for that moment.. but, knowing they're running out of money for bills and **** keeps them from having an addiction... that anxiety of not being able to eat is the difference... ha...

and i've never had any addictions.. i've always been a casual whatever... tried light drugs, smoked a couple of seasons, mostly during the winter months... i vaped heavily for a while, now vape when it's cold... i get tired of the food i eat easily, so i don't crave or have an addiction to food... i used to drink beer socially until i got the diabetus... now i drink wine and say hilariously offensive stuff on facebook... HA...

No such thing as a garbage hobby, it's only garbage to you if you don't enjoy the hobby yourself. I'm going on my 8th year in this hobby, I'm sure most of you have probably been in it much longer than me. To me it's not a hobby or an addiction, it's something that gives me pleasure. It's like my place of zen... Whether I'm cleaning it or just staring at it, never gets old. It's meditating and relaxing to me, that's why I'm still in it. I can be in a pissed off mood, I'll go **** with my tank and honestly it calms me down. I have my moments in the forums were I constantly stay on and post, comment, etc., and then I have moments were I taper off for a while. But i always come on here no matter what, lurk, read threads, buy live stock or dry goods, etc. But none of you guys can expect this forum to pop eternally, like anything else time will pass and hobbies, forums, sites eventually die off. We all put our part in to try and keep it alive, even if it's once or twice a year. At the end of the day, I enjoy this hobby for myself, don't think I need to be a part of any of this to begin with, making build threads, posting pics to be considered a hobbyist, but here we all are lol and on the upside you can also post your plants in here on top of that, and make it a multi hobby forum. That reptile thread was pretty cool, made me want to get a turtle

Seen
    i should've said that the community is garbage... this is the extent of the community i'll get involved in... the off topic... HAHA... no more clubs, no more meetings, no more going into people's build threads and seeing what others do... IRDGAF about how other people grow corals... or what they have... don't like looking at other people's tanks in pictures either... everytime i would talk to someone about some other chap's build thread, i would hear negative talk and hate... it is everywhere... rarity when someone didn't... it's not like before... before someone would be like "you see what's his face's tank...? man, that gem tang is so nice..." now it's, "you know that dude buys at the wholesaler, **** that guy..." LMAO... for reals...

Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    One could argue coral are plants.....
    no... no you can not....

Some people make a hobby of collecting junk. I think that could qualify as a "garbage hobby." lol

I think my wife would argue a lot of my hobbies are "garbage" based on the amount of trash I produce. haha
    dude... everything cool makes so much trash... HAHAHA.. i want to get my kids into hobbies now... was thinking about buying some dried butterflies and teaching them how to unfold and pin them... something they could do without me... but i think it's just going to make so much trash... ugh... and insect limbs all over my kitchen...

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

5. Likes John7429 liked this post
    Sergeant of Marines
    Name
    John
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbii View Post
    no... no you can not....
    It was.... wait for it... a figure of speech! lol

That's the get-out-of-jail card right????

Just messing. Yes, I know its classified in the animal kingdom.

Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John. Based on "your ideas" of what "figure of speach" is and the "definition" of it. I take it you would argue what fun really means and that no one has fun doing anything unless you say it's fun for them.

Gumbii. You're hobby is side railing threads. And I don't think corals could be argued to be plants as suggested. But I do grow algae right along side my few corals I have and even on some of them making it hard to seperate algae from coral.

Speaking of plants. My plants outside love rain water and I like the way the leaves look glossy after a good rain. My Hybiscus is popping since the Sun is starting to shine.

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

It was.... wait for it... a figure of speech! lol

That's the get-out-of-jail card right????

Just messing. Yes, I know its classified in the animal kingdom.
    i love reefs... they're amazing... but they don't hold anything to a plant... nothing in the world compares to a flower grown, a bee fed, gives oxygen, purifies air, something that feeds you, gives treats, and requires mother nature to live... a reef is just expensive parts and gadgets in a glass box... we won't be alive if it weren't for plants... what do the growing slimy rocks do for us...?

LMAO...

John. Based on "your ideas" of what "figure of speach" is and the "definition" of it. I take it you would argue what fun really means and that no one has fun doing anything unless you say it's fun for them.
    omg guy... you see... you see what i'm saying...?????

Gumbii. You're hobby is side railing threads. And I don't think corals could be argued to be plants as suggested. But I do grow algae right along side my few corals I have and even on some of them making it hard to seperate algae from coral.
    i grow algae with my orchids... not supposed to, but it's there... LOL...

and no, i don't mean to derail threads... just that people here are so uptight and demanding... before we would actually have conversations... people would ask for help or info, and the thread would go for pages... now, people want help finding a complete apex for a hundred bucks... LMAO... no one wants to have a conversation in a forum anymore... and i don't derail threads outside of off topic... because that's what off topic is for... to go off topic... i'm going to derail orbel's rain thread in a moment too...

and it's not my hobby... it's my passion...

Speaking of plants. My plants outside love rain water and I like the way the leaves look glossy after a good rain. My Hybiscus is popping since the Sun is starting to shine.
    i had to move some plants into a green house... too much water and they die... i have some that i can only water 2-3 months a year... you would think that's the most low maintenance plant ever, but it's so stressful... one time it rained, so i had to bring them inside, take off all of the soil and manually dry their roots... i lost two out of 28...

but my carnivorous plants are loving it... they're going to give me nice blooms this year because of this rain... lots of water... some are flooded... i had to drill them out yesterday... my poor venus flytraps man...

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

Sergeant of Marines
    Name
    John
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all. By definition, fun is relative to an individual. I would never attempt to interject my opinion of what's fun on another person.

This has nothing to do with my "idea" of anything - it has everything to do with using the correct words. Something you've continuously shown to have a problem with.

We can disagree and discuss. That's what this is about. I'm not mad or upset at you. Heck, this is even kind of fun for me.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Miguel
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orbela View Post
    That’s what deterred me from tearing down my tank. It relaxed me and I saw my fish relying on me to feed and care for them. I think this is already a multi forum people post more in the lounge than anything. I think gumbii is just trolling. So you mean to tell me you don’t have a build thread?
    You should get a tortoise or adopt one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course i have a build thread lol just my two cents for the most part. Wasn't entirely directed at gumbi, just part of it. He might sound like he's trolling, but he's always bashing this forum. Pass on the turtles, no time left after wife, kid, dog & 2 tanks lol

11. Likes gumbii liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course i have a build thread lol just my two cents for the most part. Wasn't entirely directed at gumbi, just part of it. He might sound like he's trolling, but he's always bashing this forum. Pass on the turtles, no time left after wife, kid, dog & 2 tanks lol

Depending on type. A turtle is almost "set it forget it". That's why I get/got box turtles. Don't eat my plants, can handle fairly low temps. and dont get big.

13. Likes John7429, orbela liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on type. A turtle is almost "set it forget it". That's why I get/got box turtles. Don't eat my plants, can handle fairly low temps. and dont get big.
    What type of box turtle you have?

Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three Toe.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three Toe.
    They are awesome I had one for about a year. Use to love giving him pinkies once in a while.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information