Just noticed some STN on a few different pieces. Could use some advice.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Same thing happen to my milli that I got from tgc. It started from base up. Could be a delayed stress response. Maybe a spike in po4 or no3, or something. I heard people use uv sterilizer to help with rtn but I haven't had success with that. What are your potassium, molybdenum, and iodine levels?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Same thing happen to my milli that I got from tgc. It started from base up. Could be a delayed stress response. Maybe a spike in po4 or no3, or something. I heard people use uv sterilizer to help with rtn but I haven't had success with that. What are your potassium, molybdenum, and iodine levels?
Not sure. I got my triton kit in the mail yesterday. I'll be sending a sample out for testing. I don't have the kits for those.

Id frag those personally. Ahead of the recession. Wait to dip ... maybe just a little iodine after you cut em.

Try putting them on a frag rack temporarily.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yeah I probably should at this point if I want to salvage anything. What iodine, lugol's?

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
If you want faster test results, I would use Aquamedic water tests. Usually will get results within a week.
I used both Triton and Aquamedic. Triton takes much longer.

I've also seen rtn with pe, but those frags usually don't end up well.

Hope you find what the problem is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Those frags that are STN'ng. Were they purchased the same time and from the same place? I'm wondering if the parameters where you got them from were very different from yours and they maybe just didn't acclimate well. I don't see any encrusting on them so they may have been stressed ever since.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Those little black dots are bugs!
I keep going back and forth on whether they are or not. I've seen one stay in the same position for a day on superglue so I'm not sure. Checking every morning early and all I can spot are different types of pods.
Those frags that are STN'ng. Were they purchased the same time and from the same place? I'm wondering if the parameters where you got them from were very different from yours and they maybe just didn't acclimate well. I don't see any encrusting on them so they may have been stressed ever since.
They were added all relatively close together. Not all from the same system that were stn but that doesn't mean they couldn't have all been stressed from some parameter differences. I did raise nutrients with a lower alk level and near the same time pulled the whole structure. I'm starting to lean towards that spiked something in the water or the air temp that evening was enough to stress them in the 1p minutes they were exposed.

I fragged what I could and super glued around others I didn't want to remove. Made sure to cover all cuts and STN with super glue over lapping some live flesh. That was going on 3 days ago, so far no signs of STN but time will tell. I've got a friend who can get me some interceptor if it turns out to be pests but hopefully I don't need to go that route.

Last edited:
Besides the STN frags, how are the others doing? Have they lost color or, changed color? Where do you get your top off water? Is there a UV on the tank?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Besides the STN frags, how are the others doing? Have they lost color or, changed color? Where do you get your top off water? Is there a UV on the tank?
Yeah frags and small colonies were affected. No lost of color really, wasnt great but it was there. Just STN, polyps out with flesh slowly receding. I make my own water with a RODI. I change DI at 1ppm. Yes UV has been running on the tank 24/7 since someone suggested it could be bacterial.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Triton came back with elevated Tin and Aluminum. I'm assuming I've got a rust issue somewhere and will be diggin into it asap. I haven't checked my M1 return yet and I'm thinking I need to break down my water mixing station to eliminate that.

Whats my best plan of attack once I find the issue. Triton suggests Detox, then water changes over a few weeks in 15% intervals. Tin is at 8.574 ug/l and Aluminum is at 101 ug/l

The only other one that really looks off is Iodine is super low and sulphur at 1109 mg/l

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
Poly pad perhaps? For the tin and aluminum

Last edited:
Triton came back with elevated Tin and Aluminum. I'm assuming I've got a rust issue somewhere and will be diggin into it asap. I haven't checked my M1 return yet and I'm thinking I need to break down my water mixing station to eliminate that.

Whats my best plan of attack once I find the issue. Triton suggests Detox, then water changes over a few weeks in 15% intervals. Tin is at 8.574 ug/l and Aluminum is at 101 ug/l

The only other one that really looks off is Iodine is super low and sulphur at 1109 mg/l
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aluminium-and-tin.308553/

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks for the link. I'll run some Cuprisorb in my reactor and look for improvement. My last red dragon frag RTN'd so something is still up for sure.