Adding rock to an existing tank

I got a good deal on some dead live rock, never used. It is the pukani rock. My current tank has about 300lbs of rock in it and has been running for 2 years. Do I need to cure this rock before I add it, or can I rinse it in RO/DI for a week or two and then shape it and put it in? I'm going to move the existing rock from my display down to my refugium so I won't be losing any volume. I have some used live rock that has been dry for 6 months that I'm nuking now and will dry and add to the tank.

looking forward to hearing from the community

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
IS this fish only, or reef? I think its best to cure the rock. Im sure You dont want that new rock to cure in your established tank, might cause crash.

Hi Gus, it is a reef tank. it is a 240g display with 180g sump. I'll have to get a large container to cure it, thanks for the feedback.

Dave

limal17

I would cure it as well just to make sure it goes trough the cycle in a bin or container instead of inside your tank just to play it safe. It should take long for the rock to cure.

If it used to be live rock, then definitely cure it. When it comes to dry (and I mean completely dry man made stuff), I just toss it in my tank a little bit at a time. The worst thing that happened is just a small diatom bloom that goes away while it turns into live rock

Latest posts