XR30 diffuser

Whats your guys input on this accessory for an Xr30. Pros and cons? Anyone who has a diffuser for radion let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I think they just started shipping those for the xr30. Maybe someone will chime in who has the 15 since the been out for a bit.

I know they drop par by 20% but the color blend is supposed to be great with a lot less disco effect. Supposedly helps with tank over spill which my wife would love.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
pciscott has them on his 15's. He said good blending, and overall increase of how everything looks, cons, either have to lower or increase intensity on light to compensate.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Saw his set up on his frag tank and I liked how it looked. Gave a better metal halide look/effect. There is less efficiency but I don't know many people that use 100% power on their radions anyways. Maybe not necessary for deep tanks though.

pciscott has them on his 15's. He said good blending, and overall increase of how everything looks, cons, either have to lower or increase intensity on light to compensate.

The 20% loss in PAR is not a big deal since you can now run them closer to the water. just lowering an inch or two can gain you back that 20% and then some. I was at BRS when they tested the XR15. There was an obvious difference between the XR15 with and without the diffuser. Many of the guys there were not fans of the Radion before the diffusers but with them they were elated.

I do like them as the HEI optics of the Gen 4 get better spread, but at a cost of the pucks hanging down below the fixture. When you look at the tank the brightness of the HEI optics draws in your eyes from the sides and dilates your eyes when you do glance at them. The Diffuser makes this effect go away and gives the lights a more even spread. The fish still pick up the different color LED, but I do not notice the multi color led separate. I do not notice the disco effect in my 90, but did see it before I put diffusers on the Frag tank on the lighter colored corals. I also like the fact that they protect the pucks from Splashes and the way they mount with new magnetic bottom they go on very trick. Very well made and nice option for Radions. I have not run over 50% yet with these lights as they put out a ton of par!

I have these on an XR30 Pro and love the way they look. Not only does it offer better blending, but it makes the light look more finished. Like previous posters, you can just bump the intensity to make up for the lost par. Im currently running mine at 37% over a 20g mixed Reef thats 13in deep.

Latest posts