Need help with KH problems

tsunami35

I have a 24g and a 10g tank, I mix the saltwater for them using reef crystals salt mix with a bit of seachem reef buffer, and perform 2 gal wc's per tank each week. I just did tests on both using API saltwater and reef master kits and a swing arm hydrometer, with the following results:

salinty- 1.025
ph- 8.1
ammonia- <0.25
nitrite- <0.25
nitrate- 0
calcium- 600ppm
Kh- 6-7dkh
Phosphate- 0

Could my low kh and high calcium levels be related to the salt mix? Could this be a matter of needing to dose buffer more accurately? I have noticed that my coraline growth is poor, but my fish, inverts and coral seem fine.

Any help is appreciated

Wes

Ca and Alk are related in a see-saw kind of way. When one is high, it will tend to supress the other. API aren't dead-on accurate, but close enough to know that your levels are off. Do NOT dose anything that has Ca in it for a while, and only dose carbonate buffer--baking soda or soda ash (baked baking soda). Dose this slowly, and test often--it will likely precipitate out onto heaters, pumps and other hot stuff in your tank. Test often because you'll need to replace that alk somewhat rapidly until all your parameters are in line.

Also, check your Mg level--if it's low, you won't be able to get your Ca/alk right. Mg helps prevent Ca and alk from precipitating into CaCO3.

Wes

also, salt mix is not generally at fault, and IMO it's easy and cheap enough to use bulk supplies to manipulate parameters that I don't even worry about the ca/alk/mg levels on a salt mix-I just test and adjust my tank regularly.

reef_doug

Do you know the Mg level? It's the 3rd most abundant ion in seawater and helps to keep the balance of alkalinity and calcium in check.

I would stop using the Seachem buffer, it contains borate and the API test kit may not be the best kit to use with Seachem products that contain elevated levels of borate.

Instead I would use Soda Ash (baked baking soda) and follow the calculator in the above link. Your API test kit should be ok for this.

Definitely don't add any more calcium additives.

tsunami35

I dont have a Mg test kit but I will get one, will also stop with the buffer and look into getting some Soda Ash, thanks for the info

Not meaning to hijack but maybe Tsunami and I are on the same boat. I just started using Baking Soda a couple of days ago myself. Not baked, just by itself. I was dosing with "Reef Complete" I think, I started noticing my coraline dissapearing on me. So I stopped using it about a week ago.

Like you Tsunami everything looks great but the rock. Went from purple to white.
I don't test for Cal or Mag either. Need to pick that up too.

I use baking soda that is NOT baked and my rocks are fine.
+1 - I use baking soda all the time to get my levels back up.

I also agree to everyone who mentioned testing Magnesium, if it's low it can make it difficult to maintain a good Alk/Ca ratio, Epsom Salts are a cheap DIY mag booster.

- MikeT

+1 - I use baking soda all the time to get my levels back up.

I also agree to everyone who mentioned testing Magnesium, if it's low it can make it difficult to maintain a good Alk/Ca ratio, Epsom Salts are a cheap DIY mag booster.

- MikeT
MikeT, do you only test for alk, ca, and mag?

Latest posts