Plumbing

Put together a new built. 175 gallon bow front and I have a plumbing question. It has a total of four 1 1/2 bulkheads do I leave the drain and the return 1 1/2 which I would like to or do I reduce it? Any help would help!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should of been more clear. Can you have a Return 1 1/2 or 1 most I see are 3/4 is there a reason for that?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
1.5" is pretty overkill for a return. I'd go with whatever size is appropriate for your return pump. If your return pump comes with 1" fittings then go for 1".
Should of been more clear. Can you have a Return 1 1/2 or 1 most I see are 3/4 is there a reason for that?

I'm with reefes pieces. Keep the drains 1.5" and size return to pumps existing exit diameter. Not attachments you can put on but what it is without them.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
my reef octopus varios6 comes with a 1 1/4" return and i would reduce down to 1". Bigger pipes has less resistance so you would get more flow out of the pipes and if you have a dc pump which isn't pressure rated vs an ac pump which works better under pressure and/or restricted. So i guess what I am trying to say is that it depends on your pump type ac vs dc and or if the pump is over sized for the tank or not. Also if you have a lot of manifolds and bends. With that said keep it simple.

If I had four 1 1/2" bulkhead I would turn 3 of them into a bean animal style drain with a gate valve to keep the drain quite and backup drain. Then I would reduce the 4th bulkhead to 1" for your return because you are going to be slowing down the flow with that drain setup.

Last edited: