Mysterious Cross hatch trigger death!

So last weekend I spent a couple of hours driving in traffic to get a pair of Cross hatch trigger that was 6 months established. Because i was in a time crunch so I didn't really inspect them both carefully. Anyway I drove an hour home and opened up the bucket only to find out the male has been dead stiff. The female was doing just fine and was starting to eat pellets after an hour acclimation.
I'm stumped as what might have happened for it to die after one hour as the drive was not very long and the weather was nice and cool. But as I picked him up I can see on one side there was this white patch...like the skin was burned off plus a small puncture wound near the front edge of the white patch. THEN I remembered the seller has a carpet men and a rabbitfish in his tank. Asked him it the trigger was accidentally stabbed by the rabbitfish while he was being caught and of course the answer was no...didn't see it.
I really don't know what to make of it as I've bought fishes and brought them back in the bucket many times before for more than an hour before and never had it died like this. On top of that the white patch and that small puncture wound....but since I didn't see it happened so I cant really do much and the seller agreed to refund me 1/3 of the purchase. I appreciated the partial refund but still pretty pissed about what happened.
So I'm on here trying to get people opinions as what might have happened?
Left side as I first took it out of the bucket
20180127_182051.jpg
Leftside after an hour
20180127_215643.jpg
Right side
20180127_215649.jpg

Last edited:

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
You had both in the same bucket? I would have put them in each own bucket and used an air stone on each. I had 3 tangs died same way they deplete the oxygen really quick specially when stressed. And yeah it's possible it got stung but don't think would have killed it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You had both in the same bucket? I would have put them in each own bucket and used an air stone on each. I had 3 tangs died same way they deplete the oxygen really quick specially when stressed. And yeah it's possible it got stung but don't think would have killed it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No they are in their own bucket. Don't thinknit could be the air issue though because the female was fine... but who knows

Last edited:
Ive heard of fish having heart attacks. I wonder if something just was too much for the poor fellow and he just bit the bullet. Im sorry for your loss, thats my fave fish and a shame to see one pass:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROBONE20

Wow!! I saw the FS post on these and I was about to pull the "trigger" on them...pun intended. Sorry couldn't help myself.
But let me ask you this... If I recall these fish were in a crowded reef tank. How the heck did you guys catch them? Wondering if they were stressed out from trying to catch them. That burn mark should've easily been seen. Did you have the previous owner catch them ahead of time before you got there to picked them up? If so how long were they in the bucket... Triggers are pretty hardy though so it's very strange for one to just die like that. Sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish.

Latest posts