question on getting fish from online store

limal17

Hello everyone and I just got an order of clownfish online and when I introduced them into the tank 5 minutes ago, but they are all at the bottom of the tank laying there. Is that normal from fishes coming in from orders online? I put food in but they won't really eat it.

Hello everyone and I just got an order of clownfish online and when I introduced them into the tank 5 minutes ago, but they are all at the bottom of the tank laying there. Is that normal from fishes coming in from orders online? I put food in but they won't really eat it.
How you acclimated the fish to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeanMachine

Supporter
Clowns can take a few days before they will start eating. Just do a little at a time, don't over feed the tank and let the food go to waste trying to get them to eat.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Never had. Success. Id rather support LFS.
I def agree with you. There are only a few stores in socal that have a decent fish selection. Yes they will get fish in for you... but there isn't any type of guarantee. So it makes sense why some would choose live aquaria. The prices are definitely higher, but you are basically paying for a short term warranty.

There was a time when some stores would say they were qting, but that was very short lived for most if not all.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Did you drip them? all in the same bag or separate?

Laying on the floor doesn't sound right to me. If its a QT tank or one that doesnt have sensitive coral in it I like to turn the lights off on day 1. Going from a pitch black box to a bright tank can and stress. If the sg isn't far off I float and drop them in to avoid ammonia turning toxic when expose to air.

I agree. I only buy my fishes from 2 LFS only. I dont QT my fishes. I need to physically see that
The fish is healthy and eating. Buying online doesnt allow me to do that. It is cheaper to buy online if the fish survives.

Stress/acclimation problem maybe? You didn't/don't say they looked fine before adding to tank. All fish are mail order in a round about way unless they are local CB. Shipped from all over the world. What's the mortality rate? What's your warranty on your order? Take pictures with date and time stamp and send them to vendor.

limal17

Here is the update, They are swimming find now and very active in my tank. They looked fine when they were in bags, they came in a bag of 4s and there were 4 bags. I tried feeding them but they seem to just ignore the food. The paper said not to drip them so i let the bags float in my tank water for 20 minutes then after the fishes were in the tank I turned off the lights and let them rest. I ordered these clowns from Coral Reef online store. They had a deal of a medium sized clown for $5 so it was a deal I could not resist. I hope tomorrow they start eating and this was my first time ordering online. Thanks for all the info guys!

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
What food are you trying to feed them with? Pellets, frozen, flakes? You can always email the online store that you purchased and ask what they feed their fish. Sometimes fish need some time to adapt to certain foods.
Here is the update, They are swimming find now and very active in my tank. They looked fine when they were in bags, they came in a bag of 4s and there were 4 bags. I tried feeding them but they seem to just ignore the food. The paper said not to drip them so i let the bags float in my tank water for 20 minutes then after the fishes were in the tank I turned off the lights and let them rest. I ordered these clowns from Coral Reef online store. They had a deal of a medium sized clown for $5 so it was a deal I could not resist. I hope tomorrow they start eating and this was my first time ordering online. Thanks for all the info guys!

limal17

What food are you trying to feed them with? Pellets, frozen, flakes? You can always email the online store that you purchased and ask what they feed their fish. Sometimes fish need some time to adapt to certain foods.
I am feeding them frozen messy as well as Formula one frozen cubes. I put a little of pellets that came with the fish and some flakes. Today they started to approach the food but didn't seem to eat it a lot.

Don't keep trying to feed and polute your tank. They'll be fine for a few days. I've had fish disappear on day one. Assume dead for one reason or another just to have them pop up a week later. Tank acclimation is difficult for some fish.