filter media cup

I think it would clog too fast only having one outlet for water. Might be the equivalent of 15 square inches if that. Never been good at figuring area in circles. A 4" sock 12" long has about 64 square inches of usable filtering.

I fill mine with foam sponges cut into the same shape as the cup. I keep an extra set handy for swapping out. I do get sand going through into my sump but that could be prevented with some media floss. Im still trying to dial in my powerhead placement.

It looks net, but I much prefer my filter socks. I know people complain about them, but I really don't understand why. I change my sock once a week, no big deal. My last tank was extremely heavy bioload and had to be switched twice a week. Easy enough, takes less than a minute. I also find that when I have tried to put media such as ROWAphos in a mesh bag in the sock, it gets trashed in there, no good. Seems like added work to use the cup over a sock to me.

The way I see it the filter cup can save you from an extra electric bill from having a Reactor. But the filter sock is really helpful in keeping the nutrients in check and removing solids before it becomes a problem. I have placed carbon in my socks and it has deteriorated really bad are these any different? I have never use them is there an issue with breaking down media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see it the filter cup can save you from an extra electric bill from having a Reactor. But the filter sock is really helpful in keeping the nutrients in check and removing solids before it becomes a problem. I have placed carbon in my socks and it has deteriorated really bad are these any different? I have never use them is there an issue with breaking down media?

That's my thought too. The incoming water would destroy my ROWAphos into powder. I don't see how this would be any different since it's still the same amount of water pouring into the cup. Maybe if you only did a small amount and put extra filter pads over it.

That's my thought too. The incoming water would destroy my ROWAphos into powder. I don't see how this would be any different since it's still the same amount of water pouring into the cup. Maybe if you only did a small amount and put extra filter pads over it.
Yes that could filter the water and even slow it down considerably. Hopefully someone does try it. For the price I dont see why not try it.

Latest posts