Hole in yellow tang, died shorty after

So about a week ago I noticed my established yellow tang had developed a hole in his mid body. Since then he has been eating fine so i left him in the tank thinking it was just an injury. I increased feedings and everything seemed okay until I found him dead this morning :( Im really bummed, I raised him since he was 2 inches and had big ol eyes. So the question is, what could it possibly be and will my other fish get infected? I have a spare 10g that I could use to qt if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter

So about a week ago I noticed my established yellow tang had developed a hole in his mid body. Since then he has been eating fine so i left him in the tank thinking it was just an injury. I increased feedings and everything seemed okay until I found him dead this morning :( Im really bummed, I raised him since he was 2 inches and had big ol eyes. So the question is, what could it possibly be and will my other fish get infected? I have a spare 10g that I could use to qt if needed.

Dang, that stinks. Sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish. Hard to say, but I would guess an internal thing, maybe a bacterial infection? I would keep an eye on your other fin pets and monitor. I wouldn't qt them all at this point.

All the other fish are perfectly fine that I know of. Im seriously gunna miss this guy, he was the yellowest tang Ive seen and ate from my fingers. Do internal parasites spread or do they only affect the host fish?

what other tank mates did it have?
Clowns, potters angel, flame angel, chromis, and a marine betta. Ive seen my marine betta nip a fish before, its always the tail or fins, and the wound on the tang is completely different. Almost all my rock started from dry rock as well, so unless a pest that could do damage like that could come from a frag, idk what happened still

Latest posts