Halides are back!!

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and yesterday I decided to re-install a couple halide lights. My 220 has a center overflow, so the lighting setup includes two Hydra 52's down each side and kessil 360's on the ends (total of 6 LED light sources.
I haven't been impressed with the kessil coloration and the growth rate, so I decided to take the kessils down and see what the halides looked like. Instantly I realized why I've always preferred metal halide lights versus LED's. For now I'm keeping the Hydra 52's down the sides of the tank. I ordered a couple new German Radium 20K bulbs, which should be in tomorrow.
I ran metal halides for the past 17 years up until I installed the Hydra 52's last year and I must say, I still prefer halides (the corals agree!).
**Solar on the house will prevent a spike in the electric bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
If heat weren't an issue, I'd definitely be running halides.
That's a good point. I ran into similar issues in the past with halides. The trick for me was good air flow between the lights and the water. It also helps to have solar on the house, so I can keep the house cool in the summer!!!

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
If u got solar might as well run chillers

I always wondered if the corals feel the heat of the MH and that solar heat radiation mimics the real sun and they thrive off because of it. Also the MH create its own circulation of cool and warm water

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
I always wondered if the corals feel the heat of the MH and that solar heat radiation mimics the real sun and they thrive off because of it. Also the MH create its own circulation of cool and warm water

Could be, Orbel. My first set of MH lights were the old 6500K Iwasaki bulbs back in 2000. It wasn't until I discovered the Radiums that I realized how yellow those were!! But different lights work for different people. It's a matter of your preference and what your intentions are with your corals. There's so many choices out there and I don't think there's a wrong choice to make.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I grew up with DE phonix bulbs and ice cap and sunlight supply ballast were the thing

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
Ive been running 2X radiums 20ks on my 135 and heat is no problem at all. No chiller just a pair of small fans up top and a sump fan. I love the color of the radiums but I think I am going to switch to 10k aqualine busch for 9 moths to grow out my frags. Yellower to be sure but a lot brighter.

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
My new radium 20K bulbs came in today. Refresh my memory about the break in period and how long they take to reach their intended color. Right out of the box they seem on the white side.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
I would only run halide if I have large frag system that I need more coverage than viewing pleasure.
But its just my opinion.

xraymatt

Premium Member
Supporter
I would only run halide if I have large frag system that I need more coverage than viewing pleasure.
But its just my opinion.
Makes sense. I've definitely seen a drop in growth rate since adding the LED's last year. Don't get me wrong, the Hydra 52's are awesome lights, but there's something magical about 20K radium metal halides.