Taking out live rock

Im thinking of going a different direction. I have two pieces of live rock full of green mushroom and another full of gsp and a toadstool. I want to take those rocks out but Im afraid that it will mess up my water chemistry. Any ideas? Im not in a rush. Would putting marinepure in my sump to build some bio filtration before I remove the rocks a good idea?

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you have a Refugium or anything in your sump? Whats in your sump now Live sand, Miracle Mud etc ?

People yank rock all the time. I just bought a football size rock with mushrooms on it the guy pulled from his display. The guy had no problem and didn't think anything of it. except needing to add water because of the drop in level in his sump. So just have water on hand to make up for the displacement. Your filtering system should already be able to handle the change.

I'm getting ready, been a week or more, to pull rock from my sump and go with Chaeto to see if there's any better results than the rock itself like I had on my old system. Besides my pod population is nothing because my fish. I have lots of rock in my display and only run a skimmer. Not expecting any real change and never do.

Now on the other hand and trying to sound more technical on the science part. In your rock maybe nutrients locked inside. So pulling it may even lower your nutrient level and adding the new water would be like a water change thus having no effect at all. True? I have no idea. I've been wingin it for 13 years and never had a tank crash.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Agree with the posts above. Really hard to say not knowing how much rock is being taken out compared to the amount of total rock you have. I've taken out 50% of my rock out of my tank before with no adverse issues before but I had spare saltwater ready to go just in case of an ammonia spike. Do a decent water change after you remove the rock to suck out a lot of detritus that will dislodge and try not to disrupt the sand bed.

It should be fine. I would let your marine pure settle in for a few weeks then pull the rocks out. Just take your time and everything should be good.

Without knowing how large your tank is, and how much rock, that's a difficult question to answer.

60g cube. No refugium In the sump. Running a phosban reactor with rowaphos. I have about 55-60 lbs of rock. I would probably be removing 5-8lbs.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn't sweat it. Just pull the rock out. Just make sure to run some carbon and be prepared for a water change if removing the rocks disrupts a lot of detritus/disturbs the sand bed and clouds the water. That is if you're moving a bunch of rock around and kicking up a lot of junk.

60g cube. No refugium In the sump. Running a phosban reactor with rowaphos. I have about 55-60 lbs of rock. I would probably be removing 5-8lbs.

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
If your only removing that amount i wouldn't worry to much. 5-8lbs essentially is like one medium sized Live Rock. Even if its on the sand i would worry to much..