Anthias Questions- Help Me Pick!

BeanMachine

Supporter
Hey All,

I want a group of anthias for the 300. Which species have you all had the best luck with, or which are your favorite? I could use some help deciding.

I'm not sure if odd numbers matter once you go over say 5... I was hoping for something like 10 individuals.

Thanks!

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
do like 20 and make sure they're all female. lol I think Lyretails will be the best bet at not picking each other off. Also, usually the cheapest type of anthias out there. 5-10 will still look minimal in that beast of a tank!

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Tierra anthias are pretty cool. I used to have a trio but I don't see them that often.

Back in the day I had a group of 6 bartlett anthias. They ended up picking each other off and the ones who were still around hid inside the rocks and only came out to eat. I would agree with lyretails being the safer bet. They lasted the longest in my tank and did not get too big. They are pretty hardy if not one of the most hardy of the anthias. Plus, they're active and colorful! Just make sure they get enough to eat.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I also like lyretails I have like 9 in my 110

P. Hawaiianensis.

We can all dream right..

Seriously though, Lyertails are always a good and cheap choice, but Queen, Evansi, Bartlett's can and will all live together. Your tank is big enough to pull it off too. The key ,as mentioned above, is feeding them often enough..

Cody, I put in 6 orange lyretails about 2 months ago and all are still alive. I am going to get another 6 this week and see. They add a lot of color. My favorite fish is still my Vlamingi. I know you are not asking about tangs but I thought I would share that anyway.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Lyretails are cool, but I really like the Bartletts. I ended up selling my lyretails for a trio of bartletts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts