BkChem Black Sabbath

At coral shows I've seen a few blackish corals -- It's from the coral being nearly the exact blue/purple spectrum as blue-only LED's. Once put under normal lighting, the black disappears.

As far as I know, the only way to make it black is use pure blue light, and hope that the nm of the LED is a similar color to the coral. With the exact perfect spectrum, all corals can be black.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
A little update on this beautiful acro. I have no doubt it is indeed a black acro. Just dont see the yellow polyps yet.
Pictures under approximately 20k lighting.

A pic of my RR Firecrackers mini colony next to it for comparison.

As far as I know, the only way to make it black is use pure blue light, and hope that the nm of the LED is a similar color to the coral. With the exact perfect spectrum, all corals can be black.
I found it very true. When I turn off my lights, I notice most of my acros are black!

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I was questioning one of the guys on FB about the polyps being yellow then in some pictures are green his wb is totally off or his camera setting off. If it's truly black under white light it should yield its color as true black rather then brown or dark purple when shot under blue with crappy white balance off camera which most camera can't render blue color spectrum otherwise the color seems exaggerated and it seems like it's all hype, but in reality it's dark purple with green polyps under different light condition. Your last picture under 20k still looks dark purple.

I was questioning one of the guys on FB about the polyps being yellow then in some pictures are green his wb is totally off or his camera setting off. If it's truly black under white light it should yield its color as true black rather then brown or dark purple when shot under blue with crappy white balance off camera which most camera can't render blue color spectrum otherwise the color seems exaggerated and it seems like it's all hype, but in reality it's dark purple with green polyps under different light condition. Your last picture under 20k still looks dark purple.
Green can look yellow under heavy blue lighting. It's all a lighting trick. This is a dark purple coral with green polyps. That's all it is... But when viewed under blue ONLY light... It looks black. Anybody who has a ReefBrite and has run it by itself should have seen this in a few corals.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
The frags as of today. I had very bad crash so the grow rate must be effected alot.
Its black but the polyps are far more from yellow. Maybe still need some time to color up.

Latest posts