Sump Sock Silencers- Still hear the water

BeanMachine

Supporter
Anybody use sock silencers on their sumps? They do lessen the sound, however, I still hear the water trickling. I was thinking a filter pad to go across all three. They are 7" socks. Any better ideas? Thanks.

BeanMachine

Supporter
45 degree cuts on pipe where it slides into water in sump, also lower the turn over rate.
That's what Ivan said, but the water goes into a small section first (I'm not sure what you would call that), then up and over into the socks. I don't see how that would help the noise. I'm hearing the drips through the silencer. Not the water pouring over them. I may be able to raise the water level just a tad in the sump. Not sure yet need to get the skimmer in there.

Reducing the turnover is not an option haha well it is but not doing that. :)

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Filter floss inside the socks will get you to peaceful operation. Have done it before, will do it again.

That's what Ivan said, but the water goes into a small section first (I'm not sure what you would call that), then up and over into the socks. I don't see how that would help the noise. I'm hearing the drips through the silencer. Not the water pouring over them. I may be able to raise the water level just a tad in the sump. Not sure yet need to get the skimmer in there.

Reducing the turnover is not an option haha well it is but not doing that. :)
Like you've said, increasing the water level will help somewhat with the noise. My biggest complaint with John's sump was that he placed the sock tray really high in my sump and it contributed to a lot of noise.

I jerryrigged a filter floss tray into my filter sock holder out of egg crate and run the sock silencers in place. My next sump will be built with one. I noticed the filter sock section of your sump is closed off, so that may not be feasible or even desirable. I mean, I'm sure you can always erect something inside the filter sock section where you place the filter floss on top to reduce noise, if it really bugs you.

So it's not the water entering sump, it's the water flowing into sock. When I think noisy sump I think water coming out of drain from overflow. Instead of putting filter media in socks. How about across the top like a covering that would buffer the sound? Something like this 7" wide to just sit on top? Hope link works.
https://goo.gl/images/upZH3P

BeanMachine

Supporter
So it's not the water entering sump, it's the water flowing into sock. When I think noisy sump I think water coming out of drain from overflow. Instead of putting filter media in socks. How about across the top like a covering that would buffer the sound? Something like this 7" wide to just sit on top? Hope link works.
https://goo.gl/images/upZH3P
Link doesnt work.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Looks like the rim of the section has a recessed lip. Can you get a piece of acrylic/pvc sheet to cover the section? Helped a tone on a similar AA sump i had in the past, but that was a much smaller scale.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Looks like the rim of the section has a recessed lip. Can you get a piece of acrylic/pvc sheet to cover the section? Helped a tone on a similar AA sump i had in the past, but that was a much smaller scale.
I took the lid off for the video. Skimmer section lid is more open to fit the skimmer.

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
[MENTION=3628]BeanMachine[/MENTION] this isnt related with your concern, but have considered getting a water proof cover for that power outlet behind the sump? I heard it was a good safety measure. Although it looks to be a gfci outlet, idk you might be okay like that.

BeanMachine

Supporter
[MENTION=3628]BeanMachine[/MENTION] this isnt related with your concern, but have considered getting a water proof cover for that power outlet behind the sump? I heard it was a good safety measure. Although it looks to be a gfci outlet, idk you might be okay like that.
I hadnt considered that but not a bad idea. Thanks.