The wheels on the tank go round n round

I was thinking of putting heavy duty casters on my new tank's stand.

Anyone ever done it?

Sure, sounds crazy, as this is a 5' 100 gallon, but my main interest is to facilitate a one time move from one area of the house to another,

For the weight involved, it is only going to need 6 casters, but I am going to do 8 just to distribute the weight a little bit better. I am going to put brakes on 4 of them as well,

Are you doing with the intent of moving the tank around or for cleaning purpose? If so, I and 8 solid castor on a 5' 180g in the past, with the intention of rolling the tank for cleaning. It was a huge fail. Its a PIA to move or roll once its filled.

Are you doing with the intent of moving the tank around or for cleaning purpose? If so, I and 8 solid castor on a 5' 180g in the past, with the intention of rolling the tank for cleaning. It was a huge fail. Its a PIA to move or roll once its filled.
It will be a once in a while move.

Drain 20%, move, refill, etc.

Main reason i am castering it up is for a one time, but i will mostly just leave then there for height

It will be a once in a while move.

Drain 20%, move, refill, etc.

Main reason i am castering it up is for a one time, but i will mostly just leave then there for height
20% of 100g is pretty heavy. With it being top heavy, the sway of the water once moved then stop can be frieghtening. I had a hard time just to budge it, just to get to a valve .

I'd have to imagine over time the wheels would get flat spots in them. Then when it would come time to move you'd be hard pressed to get it going first then afterwards the thump thump thumping of all the flat spots as it rolled. Unless they were steel wheels. Then there'd be the pressure points of all that weight bearing down on little points of contact the wheels made with the floor in which getting the wheels out of those indentations would be difficult. Even draining 50% of the water that's 480 pounds of liquid. The first push would make a huge wave with the possiblity of shifting the tank right off the stand like a house off of its foundation during an Earthquake. The first move would be away from the wall which would mean moving it in the most volatile way improving the chances of it tipping as apposed to lengthwise. Take a lesson from the BEAN. Don't set it up till it's desired location is ready.

This is very true. Sucker will be almost entirely top heavy, and even with a lip, that'll be a little scary.

Gonna have to do some field tests first.

EQs i would not be too concerned about, as the style of casters i am interested in are piano grade. They stabilize extremely well. However, that tilt factor, I've got to figure out. Pianos aren't top heavy, and they don't topple over.

Why not just drain the tank and move it if its just once? I wouldn't risk it. Drain it into a couple trash cans, move the tank, pump the water back in.

I have drained a125g fully stocked reef to 2 of water without removing any livestock and me and a buddy carried across the room and pumped all the water back in. Corals wee pissed for a few days, but everything lived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my 29 gallon cardiff on 5 casters. It was pretty hard to move around full. It did make it much easier when I moved it to a new place. I drained it 3/4 of the way and removed most of the rock. It did not bother my corals or fish.

Seems like a good idea in theory but as others have said it would probably be a huge pita to move still. I say if you have floors that wont get ruined and you buy quality casters, do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts