Missing established yellow wrasse?

I know yellow wrasses bury themselves, but I have had this one a good amount of time. (about 1 year) And he has always been out during the day.

Do they ever go into hiding once established? Havent seen him for a few days now.

I did lose a mystery wrasse mysteriously a few months back. (but I found its head floating)

It is an LPS and softy tank. (90 gallon)
Stock:
Purple tang
Flame angel
bi color blenny
dusky jawfish
flame hawk
maroon clown
mystery wrasse
blue porcelain crab

I have seen the occasional chase by my flame angel, but never seen him do any actual damage.

My Tank Build
Crazy. So two weeks ago now, I introduced two Yellow Wrasses to my display. They were in quarantine for 7 weeks prior. Immediately they hid, and I have not seen them since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had them disappear for a few days, searched behind the tank, no luck then he is out feeding like nothing happened. My leopard wrasse does this same thing, had the guy for about 3 years, disappears for days and then like nothing happened. He is huge and very fat, I could probably get a filet off of him.

D

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
One of my diamond back gobies dissapeared for a week and gave him up for dead. A month later, he reappears like nothing happened.

I do have a lid, there is a small section where the lights attach that isnt covered. I looked around on the floor but could not find a body.

I recently bought a yellow coris wrasse as well. Upon being added to tank it dove for the sand and it has been 3 days in the sand without a sign of it. Should I let it be or try to disturb the area where he is sleeping. If he is dead, don't want it to pollute tank. Also read on forums that they can be under there for even a week when first introduced (and to not disturb it). Thoughts?

With wrasses that burrow, I find that putting them in acclamation box for 2 or 3 days works best. They'll still burrow though if they get punked after they get released

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Leave it be. If it's alive then it's still hiding from stress and disturbing the sand bed will only stress the fish out more and possibly make things worse.

I recently bought a yellow coris wrasse as well. Upon being added to tank it dove for the sand and it has been 3 days in the sand without a sign of it. Should I let it be or try to disturb the area where he is sleeping. If he is dead, don't want it to pollute tank. Also read on forums that they can be under there for even a week when first introduced (and to not disturb it). Thoughts?

I've had fish do the same. Firefish that like to go into small holes in rocks to sleep. Sometimes I wouldn't see them for a couple of days and assume dead then they're out. Been months now. Dead? Probably. Or in spot too tight to get out of hoping for food to get close enough to inhale?
I'm guessing since these types of fish that like to wedge themselves into tight spots out of fear or just sleeping habits might sometimes pick hard to get out of nooks and crannies, then manage to back themselves out after getting all theirs fins close enough to their bodies to wiggle out. I have found fish I haven't seen for months alive stuck between rocks when rescaping or doing something with tank. Unable to swim because of rigamortis but alive.

Latest posts