Real Reef Rock Cloudy Water

I recently started a tank and set it up with only Real Reef Rock and everything has been going well all my water parameters are where they should be as the tank has been cycling. Now that the cycle has ended I've noticed my water is very cloudy only during the day when my white lights are on during the day. this isn't noticeable with the blue lights on at night. I'm aware that since it is a new tank its probably just an algae bloom that will subside over time however, I had a conversation with a fellow reefer that this has happened in his FOWLR tank and has remained cloudy for months and never subsided. Have any of you ever had any issues with this while only using Real Reef Rock?

I've only ever used the purple mad made rock. I don't remember the name, but never had issues with cloudy water. Is the cloudiness white? If so, could also be a bacteria bloom if you dosed too much bacteria, or stir up from the new sand. bacteria blooms can take a couple weeks to go away. Increase flow and oxygenation. Extra fine filter floss/pads to remove particulates. You can pick up 10 micron socks off ebay as well that might be helpful.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Might not have anything to do with the actual type of rock but sounds like both you and your friend are experiencing a bacterial bloom. Carbon, water changes, fine filter socks. A cheap UV sterilizer even the low watt ones can kill off the bloom in a day or two if you can borrow one.

Thats what I figured ill wait it out and see what happens hopefully its just a bloom and nothing leaching off of the man made rocks. just wanted to see if anybody has had a similar experience.

Latest posts