Filter sock replacement

How often do people change out there micron filter socks? The local fish store owner told me should only use them approximately 10 times before replacing them because they lose their effectiveness

How often do people change out there micron filter socks? The local fish store owner told me should only use them approximately 10 times before replacing them because they lose their effectiveness
Meh... I tend to bend the rules a bit if that's the case lol. I just hit a year on my current tank, I just replaced one of the two sets of filter socks I have for it last week. Plan on replacing 2nd set this weekend, sock don't clean up well anymore. But I guess that's what happens for not changing them as often as I should

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brs as well as marine deppt have videos on their benefits to washing, recycling, and changing.

Buy a pack of 10 with the smallest micron rating (100 is great, but 200 is fine) and change them weekly.

After you have about 8, clean them under the faucet, and then hydrogen peroxide them in a bucket, turn them inside out and clean them, and then let them dry out and start using them again.

When you see a hole or they're brittle/compacted on that second rinse, you'll know to replace them.

Also, remember, in defense of business, if you use a filter sock forever, that lfs will never sell you another, and they are a relatively diehards product.

That salesman did you a service by NOT telling you to just throw it away and buy another, so that is pretty respectful of them.

Thank you for your guys' opinions, I don't know why I never thought that they might leave lose their effectiveness I just would use them until they start falling apart it makes sense though after so many hours having water run through them that they would not filter as well after some time

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Filter socks are like underwear. Wash them after they're soiled and reuse, but don't rock em if the track marks don't wash out and the # of holes start growing. Ask [MENTION=2928]Tangwich[/MENTION] and [MENTION=654]lowbudget[/MENTION] they know what I mean.

I use them until I notice the sock starting to bunch in certain areas, and other areas get thinner. I definitely get more than 10 uses out of them for sure. I use a 200 micron and get a week of use in between changing. That depends on overall bioload though.

Filter socks are like underwear. Wash them after they're soiled and reuse, but don't rock em if the track marks don't wash out and the # of holes start growing. Ask [MENTION=2928]Tangwich[/MENTION] and [MENTION=654]lowbudget[/MENTION] they know what I mean.
Does [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] use filter socks?