Trio of flames... am I cray?

So I have a 300 mostly sps tank. The only other angel in there is a emperor angel thats about to go through its transition. I want to add some red to the fish colors and am considering buying a trio of flames (3 females or 1 male and 2 fems). Am I nuts? Stay away? Or is it doable w a feeder for more frequent feedings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience has been that in the long run, somebody always ends up losing an eye. lol That is, the female or sub male begins transitioning and the super male starts to become aggressive (or vice versa or both) and you end up with one less fish. I've had a pair of flames for over three years. One was a male transitioning and the other was a small female. They were fine until the female started getting bigger and became a sub male. Eventually, they started fighting and I lost the sub male. However, your tank is a whole lot bigger than mine, so that may plan into the equation. I think it will work in the beginning if the size differential is significant. But the closer they are to size, the faster they'll catch up to each other and become more aggressive.

Good points, I didnt think of that. I was thinking more in terms of picking on corals. I assumed that as long as there is a male, the females wont transition? Maybe Im wrong

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
We had a wrasse expert come speak at one of our club meetings last year and recommended to not pair off most wrasses as they all eventually become male in an aquarium environment. Hopefully 300 gallons will keep aggression down due to size.

So I have a 300 mostly sps tank. The only other angel in there is a emperor angel thats about to go through its transition. I want to add some red to the fish colors and am considering buying a trio of flames (3 females or 1 male and 2 fems). Am I nuts? Stay away? Or is it doable w a feeder for more frequent feedings

I haven't personally tried it, but I know people have done pairs and trios of angels before. John Coppolino being one of the experts on angelfish, has done it many times. I think if you get them all small (when they are females), and introduce them at the same time you'll be fine in your size system. [MENTION=824]o2manyfish[/MENTION] also has multiple angels together in his tank.

- David

I have a pair of flame angels in 180, had them for 4 years now with no issues. I bought one small and coupe months later I bough the tiniest angel I have ever seen. It was smaller than a quarter. Now one is a little bigger than other. They only ate the Kenya trees, I have a mix reef.

Swear to god, or whatever it is jews pray to, if they pray that we talked about this like 3 years ago..

Latest posts