Harlequin shrimp

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Anyone every use these to try and control asterina starfish? I bought one back in February and hadn't seen it since then till this morning. I was kind of excited so I took a pic. What's your experience with Harlequins?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had a huge outbreak and that shrimp took care of the problem. Make sure you have no other stars though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's been hiding while he ate all the Asterina's he could find. He is more than likely out where you can see him now because he's hungry and either ran out of food, or has depleted the system so well he's not finding anymore. Time to either start buying stars fore him to eat, or back to the store. I've kept a couple. My first one powered through an XL CC star every week.

I like bumble bee shrimp as opposed to harlequins of the goal of to take out starfish, simply because they will survive on meaty foods once the starfish are taken care of.

They are teeny though, less than an inch long, and you have to have at least 4 for them to do the job right.

I've got an order that is live for whichever they can get soonest at ocean aquatics.

Ive had a lot of success with the harlequins in the past. The stars were eating all my zoas and as soon as I threw the harlequin in zoas started opening up again and growing!

Mine is doing its job and previous shrimp had wiped out my asterina issue so I decided to keep mine. They only ever ate my coraline algae not harm corals so I threw the Harlequin in

Got my harlequin on Wednesday. Every day, it has mostly just been hanging out on the same barnacle. I haven't seen it eat a single asterina, yet.

Mine did that for the first few days I assume because he was getting used to his surroundings and also he had been eating at the LFS so maybe he wasnt hungry yet

Latest posts