When should I expect ammonia spike?

brewdog

So I just set up a new tank after being out of the hobby for a few years and just wondering when to expect ammonia/nitrite? I set it up a week ago using live sand and dry rock also been using MicroBacter7. Tested water today for ammonia and it is zero. Any advice would help

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
What type of rock did you use? If it was once alive but dead when added to your tank a cycle should start on its own. If it was a marco style rock that had never been used you'll want to add an ammonia source. You can find liquid ammonia at most fish stores now. It's nice becuase you know ammonia is present then test daily and watch it fall. Once you add the prescribed dose and 24 hours later you have 0 ammonia and nitrites you know you are well cycled. You can also add some table shrimp or something that will decay but after dosing liquid ammonia on this system for my cycle I'm a fan. No guessing whether the cycle has started or already ended.

The ammonia is cheap and you can always use it to ensure your tank is cycled. It'll only set you back a day IF you are truly cycled.

Last edited:

brewdog

Thanks for the reply Smite! Here is a brief description of the rock that I'm using "This new base rock from AquaMaxx is professionally cleaned and dried to ensure no pesky hitchhikers, pests or algae are introduced into your saltwater aquarium. AquaMaxx dry rock is not man-made; it is real calcium carbonate limestone-structured aragonite we quarry in Florida, far away from living coral reefs. It is completely reef-safe and will not leach any undesirable contaminants into your delicate saltwater system." I tested water about two days into set up and then eight days in and both times no ammonia was present.Is there a certain brand of ammonia that you prefer or ammonia is ammonia?

Latest posts