JohnsReefIn714 110 Gallon New Reef Build "Picture Heavy"

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey All,

So i promised some other reefers that i would start a thread on my new build after i tore down my 120 Gallon Mixed Reef. As i start the journey again from scratch i by no means am an expert. I am simply a guy who loves the hobby and im constantly learning from others. So far it has been more good than bad. I have had tank crashes due to switching to GFO from Chemi-Pure Elite and lost 70% of livestock a couple years ago. As well as my recent crash to my 50 Gallon Frag Tank Crashing due to bad Catalina water i bought from a LFS (no choice). Which then i lost 95 percent of all my coral, SPS, LPS, and Softies including a newly acquired Bounce that was my wifes favorite. I had moved all of my livestock from my 120 gallon to my 50 Gallon Frag tank as a stage until i got my newly acquired 110 Gallon tank. So why the smaller tank you ask? Well the reason why i i went from a 48x24x24 which originally was my ideal setup. But, the tank had more depth 24" and was only able to see the front part of the tank and i was only really utilizing maybe half of the tanks visual part. Not to mention the tank and stand was almost 6.5 feet tall and was taking up more space in our dinning room than i wanted. So i decided to sell my tank and start over with a longer 5 foot tank and not as deep 18". Currently i am dealing with a small Return Bulkhead grommet seal leak which i will be fixing tonight.

My Setup and Equipment:
110 Gallon Tank 60"x18x25
2 XR30 Radions
2 RW40 Jebao Power Heads (will be upgrading to MP40's soon)
1 Jebao DC 1200 Return Pump
1 Apex Jr
1 ATB 840 Protein Skimmer
1 (Arriving Soon Reef Link)
1 30 Gallon Red Ruby Trigger Sump
1 Eheim 200 watt Heater (will order a second one later)
1 Jebao DC4 Dosing Pump
40 lbs Real Reef Rock with some Live Rock to help seed
12 Lbs Branch Real Reef Rock

Currently working on:

Fixing the small drip Leak from the return bulkhead from a screwed Fixture to a Slip Fixture.
Electrical Compartment that will be flushed mounted under a small day seat and hidden
Once im done with those its will be time to Re-Stock My Tank! Wooooohoooo

Painted the stand from Black to White
IMG_8034.jpg
IMG_8005.jpg
IMG_7993.jpg
IMG_7994.jpg
IMG_8006.jpg

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
So i got the leaks fixed and now its up and running.

Only problem i have now is the Skimmer going nuts. So im just letting it run without the collection cup and hopefully it will settle down in a day or two.

Now to clean up the electrical and make a hidden Control Panel

IMG_8040.jpg
IMG_8057.jpg
IMG_8060.jpg

More updates soon

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
So in the process of getting everything going i noticed that my top water in my main display is rather higher than it should be.

I came to the conclusion that its my return pump that is way to strong so i will be downgrading from a Jebao DC 12,000 to a 6500 or 8000 Version. Unless someone has one out there that would trade or sell me one????

My DC Return pump is less than 1 week old and running at the lowest setting.

So in the process of getting everything going i noticed that my top water in my main display is rather higher than it should be.

I came to the conclusion that its my return pump that is way to strong so i will be downgrading from a Jebao DC 12,000 to a 6500 or 8000 Version. Unless someone has one out there that would trade or sell me one????

My DC Return pump is less than 1 week old and running at the lowest setting.
Can't you just turn the pump down?

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Can't you just turn the pump down?
Its at its lowest setting now. I think its something to do with my return plumbing. I do have a 1 inch 90 elbow right under my return bulkhead but the flow to my sump is good. Im still tinkering with the Overflow down pipe and will be expanding it from a 1 inch down pipe to maybe 1 1/2 to see if creating more water going down to flow to my sump will help balance it out more.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
What's going on in the overflow? Is it raising then gurgling and dropping down? Are you sure you didn't set your standpipe too high?

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
What's going on in the overflow? Is it raising then gurgling and dropping down? Are you sure you didn't set your standpipe too high?
I think the stand pipe is a good height however it does Gurgle like its saying FEED ME! I plan on trying to setup a durso this weekend and see if that helps at all with the noise. My current water level is barely touching the braces around my tank including the my center brace. I do notice when i say add a coral i stick my hand in the tank for placement the tank doesnt overflow off the sides but it does go down and seems to be a decent level until my water resets back to normal. So im still trying to figure this out. But right now the sound is driving the wife bonkers.. So i will be still trying to tune that up this weekend.

Any suggestions on using a Durso or other methods ?

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
So it looks like i finally got things in check. I added a External a secondary Refugium in a old MR1 Reactor i had and will be trying to grow Dragons Breath in it as well as Cheato in my Main Sump.

Currently i am working on a DIY Algae Scrubber that i will also hook up to my return to slow the flow down even more and having the Scrubber drain into my center chamber in my sump area with my Cheato.

I have a lot of pics for my DIY Algae Scrubber and will post them as soon as im done which should be tomorrow and get it all plumbed in.

My tank is going through New Tank Syndrome with Diatoms, Cyno and Algae. I just ordered my CUC roughly 150 Snails of all types to combat whats going on in my tank from ReefCleaners.Org I will also post updates on that as well as soon as they arrive which should be in a couple days.

Thanks for following along everyone

So it looks like i finally got things in check. I added a External a secondary Refugium in a old MR1 Reactor i had and will be trying to grow Dragons Breath in it as well as Cheato in my Main Sump.

Currently i am working on a DIY Algae Scrubber that i will also hook up to my return to slow the flow down even more and having the Scrubber drain into my center chamber in my sump area with my Cheato.

I have a lot of pics for my DIY Algae Scrubber and will post them as soon as im done which should be tomorrow and get it all plumbed in.

My tank is going through New Tank Syndrome with Diatoms, Cyno and Algae. I just ordered my CUC roughly 150 Snails of all types to combat whats going on in my tank from ReefCleaners.Org I will also post updates on that as well as soon as they arrive which should be in a couple days.

Thanks for following along everyone
How the DIY Algae Scrubber come out?