What ATO to go with?

Hey guys im on the market for an ATO. I currently have an Apex Lite (waiting for the triton to upgrade) but anyways im between using the ATK since I have an apex or the Tunze 3155 since its had years of positive review. Have any of you used both and can give me some pros and cons of each?

I have the tunze nano and don't like it as much. Snails kept getting in between the float switch and there is no optical sensor like the full one. I solved that by putting penny house around the switch abs haven't had it get stuck on the on position. Other than that I like it since it's not randomly turning on. Isn't loud as the tank as in my bedroom

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have the new SpectraPure UPLC-II and I love it; no float switch or optical sensor, just a pressure switch (and a backup pressure switch in case the main switch fails). Plus it's pretty silent (return pump is louder) and a 5-year warranty gives me a piece of mind in case it craps out by year 3+.

I had the Tunze 3155 but it's kinda finky; the switches/sensors get salt creep and causes it to overfill (but that's what monthly maintenance is for) and it's pretty loud (I thought it was okay but GF didn't like it, so I ended up with the UPLC-II. It works pretty well when I'm on top of maintenance (or not on a trip).

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I've been using an Avast Marine ATO. Similar to the SpectraPure, it's a pressure switch but differs from the Spectrapure because it's Apex compatible either through an Apex plug or a BOB.

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I put the tunze on my tank when I set it up. I like it and recommend. Hasn't failed me in almost 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've liked my Smart Auto Aqua one overall and I've had it a few years. Their AWC/ATO looks pretty awesome, and their micro ATO is also good. I'd recommend either of those.

been using tunze 3155 for years without issues. I would stay away from the tunze 3152 nano. Bought 2 of them in the last couple of years for my nano tank and they all ended up having issues after 1-2 years.

Awesome thank you guys so much for all the input. I do travel often so I need something reliable that wont fail me or overfill my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts