second floor apartment + reef tank

haiguys

Generally speaking, what is the biggest size tank you would place onto a second floor apartment/condo?

I'm moving to a new two story townhouse, but it's a second floor unit. Would you feel comfortable with a reef tank that was <100gallons? Or should it be even less than that?

JohnsReefIn714

Premium Member
Supporter
Generally speaking, what is the biggest size tank you would place onto a second floor apartment/condo?

I'm moving to a new two story townhouse, but it's a second floor unit. Would you feel comfortable with a reef tank that was <100gallons? Or should it be even less than that?
I have a 110 Gallon 5 Foot Long Reef 2nd Story In my Townhome. I have it over the garage area near a support beam just in case.

No issues at all. I even downgraded from a 120 Gallon 4 Foot long Mixed Reef with sump etc all glass.

Just find the support beams that are generally wall dividers to your neighbors

Hope it helps

That's a quick 800 pounds in an area of about ten square feet. Really depends on quality of the structure. Should not be a problem but there's always those cases. Ask the landlord if you'd be allowed to have one, don't mention size. If they say yes go 100. Or whatever size they'll permit if they do. They may tack on a pet fee and if they do that should exempt you from damages. But always get renters insurance. With or without an aquarium.

Sometimes apartment complexes have a no water bed clause. When that is the case, you need to find out if that is for weight or fur flood risk.

campge

2020 Philanthropist
I have an 85 gallon in my apartment
36x24x23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haiguys

I already mentioned it to the landlord, and the response I got was that its your home. Youre free make yourself comfortable. They didnt forbid the aquarium.

My intention was to place it in a corner, and not really in the center of a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

so the tank i was surprised with is a 42/36/12 with a 30 gallon sump. Do you think it should spread over a wide enough area?
You are looking at an 80 plus 30, equals 110, almost 1000 pounds in just water, tank and stand weight,

Your footprint is 10.5 square feet.

By standard dispersion of weight for a traditional 2nd floor sure floor, you are looking g at over 70lbs per square foot above traditional allowqnces.

Now, if you put it directly over a joist, or better yet, put it on top of a set of beams that are balancee on the floor joists, you can mitigate it some.

Realistically, I have seen much, ,uch heavier tanks go onto second floor apartments, so I would not worry too much about it.

But I would test it for at least a week half full, then another week 3/4 and see if the floor adjusts at all.

You should be fine, but I have been in your shoes, living in a an apartment that felt like I was going to fall through the ceiling into the people's home below on several occasiins.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Tank dimensions will play a large part like mentioned before. I've had a 120g in a second floor situation of my town house with no issues. It was 6ft long so there was more weight spread across the floor. Also, make sure to keep your stand flat on the bottom and try to stay away from using pads or risers to lift the stand in the corners. Placing the tank in the corner will be very helpful.

haiguys

Tank dimensions will play a large part like mentioned before. I've had a 120g in a second floor situation of my town house with no issues. It was 6ft long so there was more weight spread across the floor. Also, make sure to keep your stand flat on the bottom and try to stay away from using pads or risers to lift the stand in the corners. Placing the tank in the corner will be very helpful.
IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1345.JPG

So these are the two areas Im looking at placing the tank. One is in a small recessed area right beside the fireplace, adjacent to the balcony door.

The second is a corner in a small den room, with one wall that separates the two units. Between the two, which one would be safer to place the tank?

Again footprint is 42/36/12 (approx 78 gal) and Im planning on running a 30 gal sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
recessed area has 3 walls so will have a lot of structural integrity. And it looks to be a wall that is part of the structure of the house. Should be good there.

Is that window looking out over a standing patio? If so, is it's relief held up by a column? If so, that is a very good sign.

You might want to lift up the carpet and tap on the floor to find the joissts and mark the wsll with painters tape where they are located, and then rest the tank across several of them. You should be able to, ideally hit 3,but you might only be able to get 2.