Algae growing on sand...why?

I cant seem to stop algae from growing in my sand bed. Any ideas I hate it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant seem to stop algae from growing in my sand bed. Any ideas I hate it!!!

Going thru something similar currently. I will note that I think it started after I cleaned out my sump area, had a ton of pineapple sponges in there which I cleaned out. Feel like that was a huge mistake as they're supposed to be beneficial filter feeders, live & learn...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Going thru something similar currently. I will note that I think it started after I cleaned out my sump area, had a ton of pineapple sponges in there which I cleaned out. Feel like that was a huge mistake as they're supposed to be beneficial filter feeders, live & learn...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Funny I had this issue so I decided to clean out my sump. All my parameters are good so I cant figure it out.

Probably too much of a photo period for lighting or too intense if it isnt high phosphates/nitrates. Also could be too little flow on sandbed and not enough sand stirring.

Green, red, brown? I've cleaned my sump before without issue or should I say it didn't it make my display any worse than it was. My current/past situation was Cyano. That passed after about a years worth trying the chems that didn't work. I didn't try too hard. It was ugly but bearable. Algae doesn't really bother me too much like others. I am absolutely positively convinced that flow isn't a contibutor to Cyano. Why is always Cyano and not another or a combo of algaes? Then there was very short green hair looking algae. Like a fuzz. Again not bad. That too passed recently and my tank is looking better than ever. My acrylic grows algae almost over night though while rock and sand remains amazingly clean.
I swapped out rock from my sump to Chaeto about a month or so ago as well as using "Dr. Tims Waste Away" on a weekly basis. Which one or is it a combo of all? Or after a couple of years or better it's settling in and becoming balanced? I will note my sump is also growing a good film of green algae in the fuge area. So is it the Chaeto or green slime? Makes me ponder a Scrubber. Planning on a tank swap and holding off because of the current one looking so good.Trials of the hobby.
I say hold off and see what develops. Maybe a new fish like a Dragon Goby. My Lawnmower blenny does wonders on rock, acrylic and sifts sand.. Then we are going through a weather change. Whats you water temp?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
seems like nutrients are stuck in the sand. Keep at siphoning the sand with water changes. Maybe consider a diamond sleeper goby to help stir the sand. Will create a sand storm for the first week or two but the tank will settle after. Also, if you have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates then the water can pull nutrients from rock and sand feeding algae.

Last edited:
I had the same issue when i was over feeding.... my nitrates are 0 but I think my phosphates were a little too high. I dont have a test kit so i can't attribute it 100% to high phosphates...

in any case, i reduced feeding and kept up with my water changes and it slowly disappeared...

Latest posts