new to the hobby

Ted

hello everyone,

i was into saltwater 13 years ago and got out, now im back (after the wife said ok)

im building a 125 from scratch 60x18x24 acrylic center overflow,
i have a sump and a DC pump and the plumbing done.

im not trying to break the bank (or push my luck with the wife).

i want to start off simple (fish and then move into corals).

any ideas on budget equipment to finish off the tank so i can get it up and running?

As far as flow, you can look at the Jebao wavemakers.... i've used a few personally and they are reliable granted that you clean them every few months because they do lose power overtime due to build up, etc...

What kind of lighting do you want to have? LED's? T5's? both??

Ted

The tank came with 2 halide, 2 big 4ft long blue florescent lights from hamilton i took them out because i didn't want to use them. i was thinking t5 but i dont want to have to change out bulbs, so i am leaning towards the current usa led ic pro.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Welcome. LED would be the way if you are considering electricity costs, but you also would have to spend a significant amount up front to get the savings over time.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome back! I'd see if you can find a good set of used LEDs or at least research which LEDs will provide good enough PAR and spread for corals.

Ted

all i need now is water sand and lights. im keeping an eye out for lights right now.
i got a t5 4 bulb from another reefer a few weeks back its 60 in long fixture but it was old and the bulb sockets were rusted stuck in the fixture. the moon lights were burned out and missing the power supply.
maybe i will just try and clean out the sockets and order 4 bulbs and use that for a wile till something pops up.

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
all i need now is water sand and lights. im keeping an eye out for lights right now.
i got a t5 4 bulb from another reefer a few weeks back its 60 in long fixture but it was old and the bulb sockets were rusted stuck in the fixture. the moon lights were burned out and missing the power supply.
maybe i will just try and clean out the sockets and order 4 bulbs and use that for a wile till something pops up.
Drop us here at Ellis Aquatics. We have sand at the lowest prices around. We also have some of lowest price on water around ($1 for 5g of RODI, $.50/gal for kent reef or $.80/gal for Red sea coral pro). We also can help you get or have just about anything else you may need like: heater, hydrometer or refractometer, thermometer, test kits etc. Also great prices on fish and coral.