Maui trip 2018

Wow what part of Maui? I dont remember seeing all these colorful corals when I was there last. How does shipping these livestock work? Any paperwork you have to file etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im in Kihei, the south west part of the island. You dont even need a permit anymore as long as you meet net requirements
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/fishing/faqs/

We go to one of the islands just about every year and all we ever see is fish, urchins, hermit crabs. Very few corals.
Snake polyps? Never heard of them nor ever seen them for sale in fish stores. Looks like a cucumber to me.
Note all the algae on the rocks and the NOT white sand everyone strives for in their tanks.
Looks like good times. Feeling any earthquakes where you are?

We go to one of the islands just about every year and all we ever see is fish, urchins, hermit crabs. Very few corals.
Snake polyps? Never heard of them nor ever seen them for sale in fish stores. Looks like a cucumber to me.
Note all the algae on the rocks and the NOT white sand everyone strives for in their tanks.

Snake polyps are like little extended zoas. Ive seen plenty of sand cucumbers but not the tiger cucumbers Ive been looking for. And yea there was a little earthquake last week, but not recently.

Sad news... not only are people here trying to ban commercial aquarium fish collection, but also they are trying to ban private collectors that catch for their own tanks (i.e. me). Its not effective yet, but this would mean next trip I probably wont be able to take fish home with me anymore. Which is a shame because you dont even need a permit to pole or spear fish to kill any amount of fish you want here...

Sad news... not only are people here trying to ban commercial aquarium fish collection, but also they are trying to ban private collectors that catch for their own tanks (i.e. me). Its not effective yet, but this would mean next trip I probably wont be able to take fish home with me anymore. Which is a shame because you dont even need a permit to pole or spear fish to kill any amount of fish you want here...

That no permit thing, is that for anybody? Or only"Kanaka"? Because "natives" have different rights than the average joe. And I'm not talking about Jow blow that was born there. It's an "ancestory" and percentage of blood thing. Like hunting or possesing eagles and their feathers is only allowed by American indians. Anybody else gets jail time. If the law is enforced and known about.

Check these out.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/03/06/saint-patricks-snake-polyps-craziest-zoanthids-ever/

That no permit thing, is that for anybody? Or only"Kanaka"? Because "natives" have different rights than the average joe. And I'm not talking about Jow blow that was born there. It's an "ancestory" and percentage of blood thing. Like hunting or possesing eagles and their feathers is only allowed by American indians. Anybody else gets jail time. If the law is enforced and known about.
Its supposed to be for everyone, but you know how that goes around here. And its supposed to be a temporary ban, along with commercial live fish collection, until further research proves the ornamental fish trade minimally affects the ecosystem compared to other fishing

How long is this trip? I don't know about the SGV, but here in HB we've been having Hawaii weather. Not as warm though. If this is our "May gray" I canonly onder what "June gloom" will be like.

Nice. So who is watching your tank while you're gone?
I have opportunity to travel extensively this summer and thinking of selling everything as not to leave wife to deal with it.
Made everything automatic basically. Just top off and change filter sock once a week. And a baby monitor camera to watch it all.
Aquarium controllers are seriously a lifesaver. And yeah I sold most of my frags before I left as well

score! Was looking in the tide pools and saw this nice female spotted trunk fish. I was able to corral her and scoop her right up lol. Beautiful fish.

Also saw some more snake polyps. Green and blue ones

Latest posts