Seeking review on aquatic life skimmer

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I'm pretty sure they worked ok, I think they can be finicky, but it is a small water volume. I would suggest a aqua c remora or an aquamxx hob

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
I've used them in the past. Had to do the air line mod and it worked. Made a light tea colored skimmate. It was really finicky with water levels and pretty noisy. Not my favorite. I'm currently using a aquamaxx hob which does a MUCH better job

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What about the Tunze 9001?

One thing I learned in this hobby is that going cheap the first time just means you'll be spending more cause you have to replace it soon cause it was junk.

Sure you already did it. But I've done it recently before drilling my tank. Go to nano only type forums. That's where you'll find the info you want or at least a better consensus on performance. I found there are just as many that like them as there is that don't. Cost was a big influence on some. All those little skimmers are finicky about water level. Most nanos don't have ATOs, not the norm. Even larger skimmers are finicky. Thus they all have water level controllers on them and break in periods and skimmer stands and and and. Not to forget that fact that people are always rotating skimmers looking for "The One". Which they thought was the last one before the new one.

You're a DIYer like me. Part of the fun I get is making things that others don't care for work as good as those that do.
You're pretty far from me, but I have the stock RSM 130 skimmer if you think you want to try it. Another skimmer some are happy with and others not. I might be confusing happy with content. Or they might be. But some nice looking tanks out there using the Aquatic Life and stock Red Sea skimmers. So can't be too bad.

Wierd Aqua Remora went by the wayside. I always felt they were the fail safe skimmer for a HOB. Only HOB that you could buy a surface skimmer box for too. I had an Urchin that fit perfectly in the rear chamber of the RSM. Was the same hieght as the stock skimmer and hood would have still fit. Sure it would fit other AIOs. Anyway, I couldn't find myself to possibly destroy it to mod the pump to the side or bottom opposite of the water exit.

Again search all the nano forums to get the best poll you're looking for.

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
Ive used the aquatic life, aquaeuro, tunze 9002 and 9004 (my favorite), remora, Have used aquamaxx ws-1 and currently the hob 1.5 in sump due to the hanging bracket being damaged, the aquamaxx being another great nano skimmer. I did the air line mod on the aquatic life and even then is wasnt that great. I would go for a used 9001,
Or aquamaxx. You can Sometimes find good deals on eBay. I found the Hob 1.5 for $50 free shipping,
That was a hell of a deal.

Latest posts