Whats wrong with my sps?

pdreef

So I had time this morning to use my camera and I found out some of my sps have this rough patch on their skin. Its like abrasion or something. Do I have too much flow? See the pic below.

Any advice is appreciated.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
It could be many things. Don't think it's too much flow since the polyps seem to be happy and SPS can handle a surprising amount of flow. Looks like all the bleached spots are facing upwards towards the light. Could be too much light. I'd keep an eye on it before making any drastic changes.

pdreef

Everything is pretty much stable.
KH 8.3-8.6, Calcium 420, Mag 1400. What causes it to do that though? I only notice that in my sps that are on top of the tank. Could be it be the lights? But I have aquatic life t5 hybrid thats mounted 14" above the water line.. hmmm

Always double check your salinity as well. It's amazing how staked up one can get in the "important" stuff, and forget to check the basics.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Even T5s can bleach corals a bit. Just keep an eye on the corals for any more bleaching or tissue loss. Polyps are still out and the tissue is still there. They can adapt and recover over time. You said T5 hybrid, does that mean you also run LEDs? If so maybe turn down the white leds a bit or shorten your photo period a little. No drastic changes though as that can start a negative chain reaction.

Everything is pretty much stable.
KH 8.3-8.6, Calcium 420, Mag 1400. What causes it to do that though? I only notice that in my sps that are on top of the tank. Could be it be the lights? But I have aquatic life t5 hybrid thats mounted 14" above the water line.. hmmm