Help! Red Sea nano reefer sump piping leaking

I just got a nano reefer and the drain pipe is leaking. Might be leaking from the bulkhead. I panicked and drained the tank. Anyone had the same experience or how to fix it?

How do I fix it? I drained out the water last night. There is not much of no water in the overflow.

BeanMachine

Supporter
How do I fix it? I drained out the water last night. There is not much of no water in the overflow.
Un install the bulkhead. Make sure the hole is clean, no debris or rough spots, wipe the seal real good, and re install it. Just hand tight. You can use a pvc end cap to cap the drain line so you can fill the tank partially and let the water sit in the tank to check for a leak rather than refilling the hole tank. Not sure on the pipe size of the red seas though.

Pictures help. They seem to have their own sealing system within the bulk or so I read on RedSeaReefers FB page. Did you buy new or used? Thought I read the gasket needs to be replaced when pipe had been removed and reinstalled which seems nutty to me. But that's one way to keep people buying parts. You'll know it's the bulkhead if water is coming down the threads of the bulkhead or just under then it's the pipe going into it which some plumbers tape wrapped around it will fix. Wrapped in the direction of a screw so when you twist it in it doesn't bunch up on you.

One thing I always do and others, is run it outside/or inside when it's a cazy 300 gallon build, to see how things go when final layout is desired to see if there is any tweeking needing done or leaks.

I just got a nano reefer and the drain pipe is leaking. Might be leaking from the bulkhead. I panicked and drained the tank. Anyone had the same experience or how to fix it?
Hi Willy, sounds like the o-ring on the drain pipe isnt sealing. First, remove the pipe from the overflow box to inspect the o-ring for cracking, nicks, tears, etc and reinstall if everything is ok. What you can also do is swap the o-rings with the upper middle or left pipe to see if it now leaks in other spots. Reinstall everything and add a couple of inches of water into the overflow box to check for leaks. Please do not use plumbers tape to try and seal it.

If it continues to leak, send me an email at chanht@redseafish.com

Hi Willy, sounds like the o-ring on the drain pipe isnt sealing. First, remove the pipe from the overflow box to inspect the o-ring for cracking, nicks, tears, etc and reinstall if everything is ok. What you can also do is swap the o-rings with the upper middle or left pipe to see if it now leaks in other spots. Reinstall everything and add a couple of inches of water into the overflow box to check for leaks. Please do not use plumbers tape to try and seal it.

If it continues to leak, send me an email at chanht@redseafish.com
So I took the pipe from the overflow out. I inspected it and it looks ok. I cleaned it and greased it with Vaseline. I put it back on without tightening too much. And it still leaks.

0E19AA61-3427-4866-942A-CB31EE1348EF.jpg

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Are all the O-rings seated properly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had the same issue I had the tank replaced and still was an issue. In the end all it was is the o ring on the drain was old and not doing its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just received a new drain pipe and o ring set, thanks to i_am_poor. $65 overnight shipping with Saturday delivery. Hopefully it does the trick.

Man, this thing is a headache. Now Im not leaking where the bulkheads are since I changed the orings. Now Im leaking on all three of the connections points of the bottom piping. Water is surging in the main drain compartment. I tried adjusting the main drain valve its not turning. A018BE5F-4A1B-4F6A-A747-FA77E7E45495.jpg A018BE5F-4A1B-4F6A-A747-FA77E7E45495.jpg

Finally leak free. Thanks so much to Chanh at Red Sea for the support. Even on a Sunday he was texting me and helping me out. Im a Red Sea tank owner forever now because of that.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
You should explain the fix so other people know as well

So I am in the need for sump plumbing parts for my Nano reefer, I bought the tank less the plumbing, how do I go about getting the plumbing bits? Thanks