Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Help! Red Sea nano reefer sump piping leaking

I just got a nano reefer and the drain pipe is leaking. Might be leaking from the bulkhead. I panicked and drained the tank. Anyone had the same experience or how to fix it?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Orbel
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely check bulkheads. Make sure the seal is inside the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Bulkheads will leak as well if you over tighten them.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 6th & 7th, 2018

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How do I fix it? I drained out the water last night. There is not much of no water in the overflow.

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Willyboz1 View Post
    How do I fix it? I drained out the water last night. There is not much of no water in the overflow.
    Un install the bulkhead. Make sure the hole is clean, no debris or rough spots, wipe the seal real good, and re install it. Just hand tight. You can use a pvc end cap to cap the drain line so you can fill the tank partially and let the water sit in the tank to check for a leak rather than refilling the hole tank. Not sure on the pipe size of the red seas though.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 6th & 7th, 2018

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

6. Likes trunglippo, orbela liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks BeanMachine!

Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures help. They seem to have their own sealing system within the bulk or so I read on RedSeaReefers FB page. Did you buy new or used? Thought I read the gasket needs to be replaced when pipe had been removed and reinstalled which seems nutty to me. But that's one way to keep people buying parts. You'll know it's the bulkhead if water is coming down the threads of the bulkhead or just under then it's the pipe going into it which some plumbers tape wrapped around it will fix. Wrapped in the direction of a screw so when you twist it in it doesn't bunch up on you.

One thing I always do and others, is run it outside/or inside when it's a cazy 300 gallon build, to see how things go when final layout is desired to see if there is any tweeking needing done or leaks.

Registered Member
    Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a nano reefer and the drain pipe is leaking. Might be leaking from the bulkhead. I panicked and drained the tank. Anyone had the same experience or how to fix it?
    Hi Willy, sounds like the o-ring on the drain pipe isn’t sealing. First, remove the pipe from the overflow box to inspect the o-ring for cracking, nicks, tears, etc and reinstall if everything is ok. What you can also do is swap the o-rings with the upper middle or left pipe to see if it now leaks in other spots. Reinstall everything and add a couple of inches of water into the overflow box to check for leaks. Please do not use plumbers tape to try and seal it.

If it continues to leak, send me an email at chanht@redseafish.com

Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_am_poor View Post
    Hi Willy, sounds like the o-ring on the drain pipe isn’t sealing. First, remove the pipe from the overflow box to inspect the o-ring for cracking, nicks, tears, etc and reinstall if everything is ok. What you can also do is swap the o-rings with the upper middle or left pipe to see if it now leaks in other spots. Reinstall everything and add a couple of inches of water into the overflow box to check for leaks. Please do not use plumbers tape to try and seal it.

If it continues to leak, send me an email at chanht@redseafish.com
    So I took the pipe from the overflow out. I inspected it and it looks ok. I cleaned it and greased it with Vaseline. I put it back on without tightening too much. And it still leaks.

0E19AA61-3427-4866-942A-CB31EE1348EF.jpg

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are all the O-rings seated properly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Contributing Member
    Name
    Adam
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had the same issue I had the tank replaced and still was an issue. In the end all it was is the o ring on the drain was old and not doing its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More money more problems, more fish less money, no problems-ME

Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well I just received a new drain pipe and o ring set, thanks to i_am_poor. $65 overnight shipping with Saturday delivery. Hopefully it does the trick.

Registered Member
    Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I just received a new drain pipe and o ring set, thanks to i_am_poor. $65 overnight shipping with Saturday delivery. Hopefully it does the trick.
    Any update ?

Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now return pump drain is leaking. I’m going to put in a new o-ring since I got a new set.

Registered Member
    Name
    Willy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Man, this thing is a headache. Now I’m not leaking where the bulkheads are since I changed the orings. Now I’m leaking on all three of the connections points of the bottom piping. Water is surging in the main drain compartment. I tried adjusting the main drain valve it’s not turning. A018BE5F-4A1B-4F6A-A747-FA77E7E45495.jpgA018BE5F-4A1B-4F6A-A747-FA77E7E45495.jpg

17. Likes orbela liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information