Help setting up a FOWLR system

I took down my 75g Leemar and moved to a smaller tank. A friend wants to get in the hobby and I am helping think through setting up a FOWLR tank using my 75.

It is currently set up as a reef. Is there any reason the reef set up won't work for a FOWLR?

FILTRATION QUESTION:
My sump has a skimmer section, small Refugium and return pump compartment. I was thinking of converting the largest section I used for a skimmer into a large Refugium and maybe running a smaller skimmer. Will that work?

Am I better off getting a canister filter?

Is there a suggested media for FOWLR?

CIRCULATION QUESTION:
I have two Tunze 6095's. Is that overkill for a FOWLR? Would I be better off selling them and getting something cheaper?

LIGHTING:
Any suggestions? It's a 48" tank. I was looking at some of the lower end LED strips on Marine Depot. I also like the Aquatic Life options with built in timers

What else do I need to think about?

Nope you should be fine with that setup just make sure if he decides to go reef eventually not to use copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason to change anything. Those two Tunze would be a lot in my opinion. Others will say different. Nature of the hobby. I used two 18 watt T8 lights on my FOWLR 45 gallon, 48x13x16 with an Aqua C urchin skimmer and just live rock in sump for a couple of years. Spotless. Then I bought of all things, An Aquaticlife Reef LED, swapped out rock to Chaeto in fuge and upgraded skimmer then got algae blooms. All good now after a few/several months.

Why are you looking to upgrade the tank for your friend? Use what you have now and see how your friend adapts to the hobby. One thing that I don't get is everyone thinking the first tank needs to be a million dollar set up thus newbies dissappear because of being overwhelmed with the amount of money just to get started. Baby steps.

No reason to change anything. Those two Tunze would be a lot in my opinion. Others will say different. Nature of the hobby. I used two 18 watt T8 lights on my FOWLR 45 gallon, 48x13x16 with an Aqua C urchin skimmer and just live rock in sump for a couple of years. Spotless. Then I bought of all things, An Aquaticlife Reef LED, swapped out rock to Chaeto in fuge and upgraded skimmer then got algae blooms. All good now after a few/several months.

Why are you looking to upgrade the tank for your friend? Use what you have now and see how your friend adapts to the hobby. One thing that I don't get is everyone thinking the first tank needs to be a million dollar set up thus newbies dissappear because of being overwhelmed with the amount of money just to get started. Baby steps.
Not looking to upgrade it. I was actually thinking I could sell some of the reef equipment because I thought it might be overkill and could make a more simple set up.

Nothing more simple than using what you already own. Unless you can get what's needed and put some money in your pocket.

Nothing more simple than using what you already own. Unless you can get what's needed and put some money in your pocket.
That's what I was hoping. Thought maybe I had enough extra equipment to get some rock and sand as well and maybe even a light

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Since you have the Tunze pumps I'd say go for it. Although prob just using 1 will be more than enough. Keep the other one or trade it for other stuff you might need. Rock work can be minimal as long as fish have their territories. LED strips will serve plenty for lighting. In fact you prob don't want too much power on lighting to keep nuissance algae at bay. I'd even keep salinity at lower levels because it's not necessary. I'd still stay away from canister filters. Simple sump and skimmer would be more than enough. Maybe toss some ceramic media in the refugium chamber. Toss in a bag of chemi-pure in the sump and call it a day.

FILTRATION QUESTION:
My sump has a skimmer section, small Refugium and return pump compartment. I was thinking of converting the largest section I used for a skimmer into a large Refugium and maybe running a smaller skimmer. Will that work?
fish can tolerate nitrates and phosphates better than corals. I'd skip the refugium since it requires it's own light and an added step of maintenance, and instead go with a decent skimmer. Nothing too overkill but something decent size to hold more capacity and requiring less emptying/maintenance.

Am I better off getting a canister filter?
Nope. Will prob do more harm then good in the long run.

Is there a suggested media for FOWLR?
Carbon since there will be less water changes and dirtier water. But Chemipure is prob ideal for this type of tank. Just toss it in and no separate baggies or reactors needed.

CIRCULATION QUESTION:
I have two Tunze 6095's. Is that overkill for a FOWLR? Would I be better off selling them and getting something cheaper?
Prob can get away with using just one and I'd keep the Tunzes. They probably will outlast the cheaper alternatives. Flow helps but isn't as critical as it would be in a reef environment.

LIGHTING:
Any suggestions? It's a 48" tank. I was looking at some of the lower end LED strips on Marine Depot. I also like the Aquatic Life options with built in timers
Whatever's cheap. If they decide to go reef later then it's not a big loss. Also, powerful LEDs aren't always the best for a low maintenance FOWLR tank. Nuissance Algae will thrive much easier in high power lighting. Timers are like $10 at home depot.

What else do I need to think about?
If you're not QTing fish then it's fine to keep salinity at lower specific gravity, just not Hypo-Saline levels. Won't prevent disease from spreading but it does help keep it under control. Also, cheaper on water changes. Plus gives more flexibility for accidentally topping off with saltwater.

Not much else to think about. Reef tanks are so much more sensitive than fish only tanks. There's a lot more forgiveness and less complexity involved to keep fish healthy. I'd still stay with high quality frozen foods as much as possible. Just keep everything simple and design around low maintenance and low parts count.

Jjskye

I had a fowlr shark tank with a koralin denitrator. Best investment ever. Set and forget. 0 nitrate all the time, no algae whatsoever. That was with daily heavy feeding of meaty food.