No More Garbage in the Free Stuff Section Please

I'd like to think this website is on a higher level than Craig's List. Is it not? As a hobby forum for an expensive hobby, I think it ought to be. I think a rule should be created that requires any items posted in the Free section be in good working condition and free of damage. I'm tired of lazy people trying to schlep off their junk onto our fellow hobbyists. Leave that **** to Craig's List free section. [MENTION=1]EyeReef[/MENTION] Mike what do ya think?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
I have bunch of equipment Id like to give away, but Im just to lazy after working under the sun all day, to meet up with people outside my community gate to give it away. People give stuff away for free for a reason, I guess, its up to you to fix it and deal with it, in the end you still pay a price.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Do you expect free items to be tested? Chance you tank with free imo it is what it is. Who's going to verify or moderate that the items are working? If they aren't and its later reported does that reefer get a spanking or would be banned?

Do you expect free items to be tested? Chance you tank with free imo it is what it is. Who's going to verify or moderate that the items are working? If they aren't and its later reported does that reefer get a spanking or would be banned?
It could cut down on the broken tank, broken junk posts. Doesn't have to be tested. If someone tries to post something that is clearly broken junk, it can be reported and modded just like any other post that breaks the rules. Can discourage further junk posts. If someone breaks the rules, they can be shamed publicly like all the rest of shady peeps on this forum over the years (CowboyCove looking at you) and given neg feedback in the feedback sub section like any other transaction

I understand the "one man's trash=treasure" mentality but that is what Craig's List is for.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Just like the for sale forum or any other posts that don't interest you, you can easily skip it and move on. The items I gave away for free are still very usable with a very minor patch that I currently have no time for or else I would of patched it up and sold it if I wanted too. Point is, if giving away free stuff to others offends you, then you should just roll your eyes to the "free posts" and move on. No one is doing it to appease or disappoint you as I'm sure no one cares if the post will be good enough for everyone when they post. I'm responding to this post and not rolling my eyes and move past it because I just gave away 2 items that are still USEFULL to those who have more time on their hands than I do. What you might consider "my junk" can be used in other ways than what they are meant for. Sorry we can't all buy brand new items anytime we need something (well I can) but to flame people for giving away FREE items to some that can actually use it is just plain stupid

fijisrfr

So.... you have a problem with giving away free stuff unless its tested and deemed to be in perfect working order?
I do aquarium maintenance and am giving away used/ unwanted equipment on a regular basis!
If you dont like these types of posts then just dont read them, geez, Im sure you have other things to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ivan

Featured Reef
What do you expect for free!!!
TOP OF THE LINE EQITMENT !!!
Hahahah that's new :)

Nothing wrong with free junk. Ive been looking for a fixture to gut and build up. I'd rather take a free working one than buying a new one to gut and build.

I did see a listing that went something like this...

$1,500

2004 honda civic
150,000 miles
Clean title
Ice cold AC
Car runs perfectly just needs new transmission but i have an extra one.
Will need a tow truck
Title in hand

I guess i can rant about the same thing haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree, get rid of the freebie section so reefers buy from sponsors instead. I used to give my junk to LFS so they could make $ off it.

Dealing with broke arse reefers is always a pain. Besides, how many times have we seen free stuff later posted up for re-sale and the original giver got angry, and the re-seller has to explain how he suddenly got herpes cancer and needs the money?

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree, get rid of the freebie section so reefers buy from sponsors instead. I used to give my junk to LFS so they could make $ off it.

Dealing with broke arse reefers is always a pain. Besides, how many times have we seen free stuff later posted up for re-sale and the original giver got angry, and the re-seller has to explain how he suddenly got herpes cancer and needs the money?
Why is giving to LFS so they can make $ off it different from giving to a reefer who resells? I personally dont care either way. If I give something free and someone be it whoever wants to take the time to make money off it thats got nothing to do with me. I figure I can ask them to pass it forward when not needed anymore but its up to them if they want the Karma or believe in that. True this isnt craigslist, its better because its hobby specific and tends to hold people accountable for their actions, by reputation and dealings, but thats my 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is giving to LFS so they can make $ off it different from giving to a reefer who resells? I personally dont care either way. If I give something free and someone be it whoever wants to take the time to make money off it thats got nothing to do with me. I figure I can ask them to pass it forward when not needed anymore but its up to them if they want the Karma or believe in that. True this isnt craigslist, its better because its hobby specific and tends to hold people accountable for their actions, by reputation and dealings, but thats my 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because LFS have overhead. Real small business is hard, and I can relate.