No More Garbage in the Free Stuff Section Please

this hobby doesnt have to be expensive.
+1 to that. Reefing can be as affordable or as expensive as one chooses to make it. It bothers me when people make comments about cheap reefers. As if one shouldn't have a tank to enjoy just because they don't make a ton of money.

As for free stuff. Whether it's broken junk or usable stuff, it's really in the hands of the person that chooses to go pick it up.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
We need more of these types of threads in this forum. lol Seriously though, kinda like the old days of SCR and this thread has had the most action compared to the rest. Just sayin'

We need more of these types of threads in this forum. lol Seriously though, kinda like the old days of SCR and this thread has had the most action compared to the rest. Just sayin'
No Shawn I'm not gonna give more of my junk away free. I'm gonna start charging for junk to avoid pissing off the rich guys that don't like to dumpster dive but like browse the freebie section and complain about it.

I usually try to stay away from posts like this, but I strongly disagree. It's people like goober that are the reason that I'm in the hobby. He and another reefer Wes hooked me up with equipment recently. I wouldn't have a fully functioning system without them and their "junk." But maybe I'm just one of those broke arse refers that no one wants to deal with. It's funny I'm just getting back into the hobby after a break and noticed how much the mentality has changed. People like goober are the ones we need to stay in the hobby. If it wasnt for him I wouldn't be spending any money at my lfs because I wouldn't have a tank

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
So I recently gave away my 50 gallon tank I the free section and it was dirty as all get out. The stand was basically a throw away and I required that the person getting the tank take that to since I rarely have anyone that can help move heavy things when I'm available on the weekends. My job and kids keep me pretty busy during the week and the weekends are even worse.

The tank was dirty, had a couple of scratches but worked fine until I drained it a couple of weeks prior to posting it up. It wasn't cleaned because I'm lazy I was downsizing due to my lack of time and on the "recommendations"of my other half. I posted it and didn't lie about the condition of the tank or stand. I guess if I had sold it for cheap and stated the obvious, like a light fixture that wasn't working, I wouldn't have gotten a rude post.

I'm usually a pretty mellow guy but the comments from some people that think they know what's going on is a bit much. Both me and the person who picked up the tank left satisfied. I've been the recipient of acts of kindness in the past and wanted to pass it on but I guess that isn't something that the OP understands.

That's just my 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I agree, get rid of the freebie section so reefers buy from sponsors instead. I used to give my junk to LFS so they could make $ off it.

Dealing with broke arse reefers is always a pain. Besides, how many times have we seen free stuff later posted up for re-sale and the original giver got angry, and the re-seller has to explain how he suddenly got herpes cancer and needs the money?
I was being sarcastic, of course. Happy reefing!

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
No Shawn I'm not gonna give more of my junk away free. I'm gonna start charging for junk to avoid pissing off the rich guys that don't like to dumpster dive but like browse the freebie section and complain about it.
Yea goober..you need to stop giving Shawn free access to your junk. Lol

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
hahahahahaha stop fighting both can have free access to my junk
Lol I want free junk. Actually I have alot I have to get rid of but I rather just hoard instead of dealing with flakes. ( Media reactors , co2 tank and so on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Lol I want free junk. Actually I have alot I have to get rid of but I rather just hoard instead of dealing with flakes. ( Media reactors , co2 tank and so on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
same, been trying to give away this free sump to [MENTION=2546]gumbii[/MENTION] in my garage taking up space.

It could cut down on the broken tank, broken junk posts. Doesn't have to be tested. If someone tries to post something that is clearly broken junk, it can be reported and modded just like any other post that breaks the rules. Can discourage further junk posts. If someone breaks the rules, they can be shamed publicly like all the rest of shady peeps on this forum over the years (CowboyCove looking at you) and given neg feedback in the feedback sub section like any other transaction

I understand the "one man's trash=treasure" mentality but that is what Craig's List is for.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Pretty funny that a grown *** man can hold a grudge for this long. 2.5 years gone. I log on and still see this cry baby b!+_h. Wining about a fixture he broke while tranporting. I still have the whole conversation between the two of us. If you want I can post it up again for you. Would you like that Al bundy? Or maybe you can just grow up and move on. And accept the fact that you were and still are being a little baby. Cause daddy won't give you what you want. Maybe I should've stayed off the forum. But I'm glad to see a lot of familiar names still in the game.

Bouncingsoul393 said:
cowboycove said:
Bouncingsoul393 said:
Derek,

Is there anything I need to know about this fixture? Two of the bulbs just turned off for no reason. I've owned a Maristar fixture and a four bulb Tek in the past and have never had that happen.
I was wondering why those five screws were out when there would be no reason really for them to be and they wouldn't just fall out. Did you have a problem with the ballasts or swap ballasts with old ones or something? I'm pretty concerned now.

Jason
No problems with it at all. Maybe some loose wires when transporting? I did originally remove some of the top screws only so that the legs fit. And I had the box on its side when I took it down to put bulbs in. I would've told you or posted that the ballast were replace if I did replace them. Who doesn't like or prefer new ballast right? I too had a 4 bulb and never had issues. Remember the large fixture is a little more wobbly. Make sure its sitting straight and try it again. If not maybe move it a little In Case something is loose. I'm sure it is working fine. Before I stored it and before you came. You even tested it twice while you were here. Let me know if you figure it out. Bakkast cant/shouldn't be bad. I only ran the 4 Inside for 8 hours and 4 outsides for 4 hours. And only for 7 months total. And ballast can't be bad if only 2 are out. There's only 2 ballast total. Each running 4 bulbs. Could be that one if the bulbs are bad. If one is bad both in the section. Will not come on. Sorry for any inconvienence
There's definitely something going on with this fixture. The two bulbs went out again twice after I messaged you last night. I promise you nothing happened in transit from your place to mine. It laid flat on my back seat and I was very careful with it. To make sure that it did not flex which I know can happen I had my girl lift it out of the box with me and also help me set it on top of the tank. When I attached the legs I propped up each end again, so that the fixture would not be stressed. Also the fixture is sitting on top of my tank completely level with the tank mount legs set level as well. You're right I did try the light twice and at the time I did notice that for a brief second two of the bulbs either did not turn on or off at the same time as the others but I thought nothing of it.

I've talked to my buddy that worked for Aquatic life for years and he's suggesting that I swap the bulbs around to see if it is because of a bad bulb that may be going out which can cause some ballasts with a built in safety to shut off.
I'm going to try that tonight when I get home to see if the problem is with the bulbs or the ballast. I'm not comfortable opening the fixture up and messing with the wiring.
If the issue persists after tonight I will be returning the fixture to you on Thursday for a full refund. $180.00 is a lot of money for my wife and I and I have to have something that will function without issue.

Thanks,

Jason
Here you go b$;tch. Remember you posting that your buddy from aquatic life fixed and confirmed that it was just loose wiring? So who's the idiot. The guy that supposedly sold a bad fixture or the guy that bought a working fixture then broke it trying to blame and demand the seller for a refund. -1 for Al bundy

Meanie! (broke arse)

Some artist should melt down 1000 pounds of reef garbage/free stuff and mold a 20 foot tall acropora frag, paint it white, and call it make-you-poor-a, as tribute to the reef gods.

wow, what a completely disgusting thread that has proved my point i've been telling others.... this hobby has been turned to trash by all of these "entitled to bomb $hit" reefers... LMFAO...

this thread is so disgusting, it brought out all of these hating arse reefers from the old days... back when nothing but bubble kings were offered in the free section to noobz... LMFAO...

this thread is so disgusting, haters started using the search function just to prove another hater wrong... LMFAO...

good lord... this thread is so disgusting, i actually sat here and read it, and gave me PTSD of how horrible people can be... LMFAO...

i'm j/k, this hobby has turned into trash, everyone swears they have the golden oyster between their legs, and there is no community, only monetary value in your piece of failure tanks...

tan TAN!!!..............

Latest posts