NUVO EXT Lagoon 50 Build

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
My newest build was acquired through a very unusual scenario. It was March 31st and I was at the childrens hospital with my wife and nine-month old son. He had just gone through a tethered spinal cord surgery and we were all exhausted. The Marine Depot Facebook giveaway was just 3 hrs. away from closing. I mentioned to my wife that she should enter this giveaway. You could be the lucky winner, who knows? I said to her. I knew we had slim to no chance since it had a few thousand entries. A few days went by when the announcement was made. She was a WINNER of the NUVO EXT Lagoon 50! This will be a fun and awesome Family build!!!

It took a few weeks to receive the APS stand and Tank. For the time being I was already doing my research and the information available was very limited. I knew this tank came with no sump and hardly any plumbing, which made things a bit overwhelming. I was entering a new and unknown territory which made me take a break. I currently have a Nuvo 30L and during my 8 years in this hobby all I have known are AIO systems. I will be transferring everything into the new build = more room for extra activities hahaha!

So I went ahead and started to research my sump options. I found several of them but the Trigger Systems Sapphire 26 was clearly the best fit for this build. I decided to also add the Trigger Sapphire ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir. Its obvious it wont fit inside the cabinet, so it will be placed outside next to the stand or inside a small custom cabinet (still undetermined). I got all my plumbing from BRS since they had everything that was needed. I hit a road block when I was sketching my sump options. I determined that running a manifold system would pay off in the long run if I ever decided to run a reactor. The news leaked out that Innovative Marine will be carrying a shelf for the APS stands. This was an important factor when designing my plumbing and therefor I kept the manifold system low.

Building the stand was very easy and straight forward

I went ahead and used 1" PVC. Lets start mocking that plumbing!

I had to maneuver the "E" line around the main drain. Success! I was able to drop it inside the Skimmer section

A check valve by "WYE" was added for extra safety. You can never be too safe. I used 3/4 PVC for the return line

Manifold system is coming along nicely.

I will be running 1 reactor for now.

Everything is looking good. I will be gluing it together in the next few days.

Current Equipment:

Tank: Innovative Marine 50 gal Lagoon EXT
Wave Makers: 1 Ecotech MP40wQD (maybe 1 MP10wQD)
Lights: 2 G4 Ecotech Radion Xr15Pro
Sump: Trigger Systems Sapphire 26
Return: Ecotech Vectra M1
Skimmer: Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1
Reactor: 1 Aquamaxx FR-SE (1 more if needed)
Apex Controller
Eshopps Doser

Everyone is welcome to follow my Instagram page @JC.Reef

Last edited:

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow this tank looks like it's going to be awesome! No skimping on the plumbing parts that's for sure. Looks like a win well deserved for you and your family!

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow this tank looks like it's going to be awesome! No skimping on the plumbing parts that's for sure. Looks like a win well deserved for you and your family!
Thank you! I really wanted to do this build right way. Don't want to deal with headaches down the road.

Thanks mate!

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
@VividCreativeAquatics provided me with 2 RFG for this build. Thank you so much for your generosity!!!

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Congrats on the win. My 11 month old son loves our reef at home. Hopefully this reef brings him a lot of joy during his recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Congrats on the win. My 11 month old son loves our reef at home. Hopefully this reef brings him a lot of joy during his recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was definitely an awesome win for my little family. Thank you so much for your wishes :thumb:

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
The plumbing was glued last week and yesterday I finally decided to test for leaks. Not too shabby for being my 1st plumbing job on a sump. So far everything looks good... No LEAKS! :dance3: I already need that APS shelf :frusty:

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Very nice! Time for some saltwater! FWIW i'm not a big fan of the plastic hose clamps near the return pump because they like to fatigue. I've seen one fail and luckily my friend was by the tank when it did. But there was a huge ol water fountain coming out of the sump and all over the stand. I recommend hard piping the return pump out of the water line and use a shorter piece of vinyl (like 2") tubing and using stainless steel hose clamps. U'll still get some flex and enough vibration damping.

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Very nice! Time for some saltwater! FWIW i'm not a big fan of the plastic hose clamps near the return pump because they like to fatigue. I've seen one fail and luckily my friend was by the tank when it did. But there was a huge ol water fountain coming out of the sump and all over the stand. I recommend hard piping the return pump out of the water line and use a shorter piece of vinyl (like 2") tubing and using stainless steel hose clamps. U'll still get some flex and enough vibration damping.
I see what you mean. I have more clamps and I was planning on adding one more on both ends. I like the hard plumb but decided to add a braided line to dampen the sound.

Congrats on winning and great build so far.....what are the plans for livestock?
I'm going to shut down my Nuvo 30L and everything will be transferred over.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Looking good. Question... when you have the tank against the wall, will the valve to control the water from the overflow box be reachable?

Looks good the stand is pretty nice as well. Does anyone here have the 100-INT I want to get that one but like to see a review of that one if anyone has one.