36/30/18 SCA with Reef Savvy Ghost Overflow

Been tankless for about 3 years. After moving into a new home, first thing the kids asked me was if we could get another aquarium. Sooo.....Here we are. Plan is to keep it budget friendly, as I don't want to spend needlessly on equipment and/or features I won't fully utilize.

Tank:
SCA 36/30/18 with Reef Savvy Overflow

Filtration:
30 gallon sump
Vertex Omega-150 Skimmer
50-ish pounds of rock

Circulation:
Reef Octopus VarioS-2 return pump
Vortech MP40QD (to be picked up this weekend)

Small problem though. My dumbass brother in law dropped the tank when we were moving it in, so Im going to replace this panel.

Sorry for all the single posts as I havent used Tapatalk too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dontavo27

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
My Tank Build
Nice tank, it seems like youre off to a great start, minus the crack. Old me wouldve have taken a gamble, on the chipped corner and filled it up, but Im sure the last thing you need a leaking tank.

Couple updates.

The leak test went well, without any leaks from the replaced panel. However the bank panel cracked due to my own stupidity: I didn't place the tank on level ground, and didn't realize until later that the back panel wasn't supported on the ground. Needless to say, I would have to replace the back panel to get it to work. No matter though, and I was planning on keeping the tank as a garage frag/backup tank. I'm awaiting an AA tank 36/30/18 to replace this one. Come to find out, my wife ordered me a new tank for my birthday since she didn't want me to setup the repaired tank inside.

Also, instead of a DJ Strip, I went with a Tripp-Lite multioutlet with individual outlet switches. Figured if it was good enough to use within a hospital, it would be good enough for home use.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Individually-Controlled-TLP76MSG/dp/B0068LACFI

Right now, I'm debating as to whether or not I need an Apex. The LED i'll be running has its own timer, controller etc. I'm going to run a Ranco temperature controller as well

Cycle started. Nothing fancy underneath; trying to minimize the equipment I get and use the KISS method. Just ordered an Inkbird temperature controller.

I dont plan on getting an Apex anytime soon. MAYBE down the line if I get into more demanding corals. For now, Im planning on a majority of anemones, and some LPS. I also have to pick up a Vertex Illumina from my friend.

Added two bottles of Dr Tims last Thursday. Then added a pair of clownfish. So far, theyre doing well. Eating like pigs and swimming out and about.

Under tank shot. Very simple with simpleton plumbing. The shorter drain is the emergency one. Figure I want it to be loud so I know right away if theres a problem.
No need for a fancy ATO container; the osmolator should be arriving Monday. Down the line, I may opt for a slightly wider sump but thats if I ever decide to burn through money. No plans for any reactors, Ill just toss carbon inside a bag and run it passively. I dont expect or plan to run GFO either. Just weekly 5gallon WCs once I get to that point.

Power strip is a TrippLite. Figure if my hospital uses them, it should be good enough for home. Temp controller is an InkBird.

Great start! How do you like that overflow? Was it easy to get dialed in?
I like it. Ive read of people having some issues tuning it, but I personally didnt.

Mounted my GHL Mitra and Marine Depot controller board. Current issue is the Mitra driver isnt communicating with the computer, so I cant program it via GCC yet. Going to do yet another uninstall and reinstall. If that doesnt work, Ill pick up a cheapo laptop to program with.

Livestock:
Clown pair
Red headed Solon wrasse
Longnose hawkfish
Watanabei angel

IMG_5307.jpg
IMG_5265.jpg
56333773545__C5917418-F80B-4123-86A5-0CB2F0075C15.jpg

Small update.

Advanced acrylics set me up with a new sump 30 x 22 x 16, with a fuge and a 8” water level in the return. I called him on Friday and he had it ready for me by Tuesday. The new sump added 20 gallons to my setup.

Apart from that, it’s rather ho hum. Nothing has died yet; the frags and zoos I have so far are open and extended every day.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Looking really good! You know it’s going be an awesome system whenever the sump is as big as the display

Haven’t posted anything in a while. And it doesn’t really look much different than before. However I finally got to topping off with kalk and so far I’ve noticed everything opening up more.

Attachments

3 year update. Almost went to a full reboot. Outside of feeding the tank and topping off the ATO, I neglected the hell out of the tank. GHA rampant; mushrooms propagated all over the place. So I ended up replacing all the DT rock (sump has about 50 pounds of rock) and added Dr Tims. Now that life has given me a more predictable schedule, I aim to make it a better build.
Not sure what I’ll do with the old rock, but if anyone wants it along with a 20G glass tank let me know. I’ll give them away.

Attachments

drexel

Love the dimensions of this tank! As you know, go slow and steady all you'll be okay. What rock are you using now? PNS substrate sauce is good to start as it adds some PO4 to get the bacteria thriving and you don't starve anything.

Latest posts