Which refractometer should I buy?

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
I like the icecap, never used it though, so dk the reliability and durability, but the Milwaukee is solid. Have had mine for years now. Super easy.

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
I want a digital one but was reading some bad reviews about them. I saw Steve was using the ice cap but double checking it with a standard refractometer as well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Redundancy is always good. I have 3 different calibration solutions, and sometimes double heck salt with my normal refractometer as well

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I have both vee gee and icecap. Ice cap is fast, easy to clean as well. Basically just rinse it off.

I prefer the ice cap but I do run three or four tests because it can give an occasional erroneous results. It is not always precise but I find that with three or four quick tests and if all are identical, besides a quick rinse, its all done. If I get a suspicious result among the three or four initial tests, I simply run another three or four tests. Each test is incredibly fast, virtually instant. When I previously used the vee gee, I would also get a periodic suspicious result requiring repeat testing. But the vee gee requires more work and time to test, calibration, and time to clean up. So bottom line, I prefer the ice cap by a large margin

five.five-six

2020 Philanthropist
The Milwaukee is awsome

Get the storage case for it too

Had mine about 9 mos and have checked it several times and it stays dead nuts spot on.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm happy with the milwaukee. Tried and true. I think its one of those things that there are so many out there, you're going to see some negative reviews. The ice cap looks nice but still too new to know anything about long term reliability

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
A little late but my vote would have been the VeeGee. I've been using one for 7 or so years and it works great. Big display and easy to read.