A few questions on breaking down and transporting a large tank

I will be picking up a complete 120g (got confusing dims so it may be even larger) system next weekend. The tank is still up and running so I'll have to break everything down. I don't have a truck and limited on helping hands, just my bro. The seller and her cousin may be able to help with the small stuff but that's about it.

1. Would you guys advise on getting a general mover off of craigslist?
2. Would a cargo van have enough room? Will be taking my wife's midsize suv with foldable rear seats too.
3. Would a 32g, 20g brute trash bins and a few HD buckets be enough for the live rock and livestock? I can pick up another 32g if needed. The seller has a few 5g jugs too. There's 5 or 6 fish with a hippo tang being the largest.

This will be in the Torrance area so if anyone is willing to drop by and help out a fellow reefer I would really appreciate it. I don't have much to offer except maybe cold drinks and beer. I'll get a time and address as the day gets closer if anyone is interested.

I would suggest something with a "flat bed". The foldable seats don't sit flat and can put alot of strain on your tank. Everything else depends on how much rock,sand,livestock you're getting and how much water you plan on keeping. You'll be lucky to fit a 100+ tank with all the water rocks and livestock into a small suv.

No I'll rent a cargo van if I decide to do it ourselves but I'm leaning more towards hiring someone to help load, transport and unload.

I've never done 120,but i did a 90 about a year ago. Everything was Murphy 's law. The holding tanks i had did not oxygenate right, and i almost lost everything. I did lose two fish and a crab in the move, and i lost a bunch of coral after a few weeks. I'm still not back to perfection, either.

I would recommend patience and two trips, and have a holding track with battery aerators and possibly heaters for the live stock.

Do the live rock in the plastics for sure.

I would hire someone. This is a bigger job than you think. Especially if you intend to set it back up.
Professionals specialize in large aquariums or just general movers? I got 2 quotes so far and they're like on opposite spectrum. One guy said he'll do it for $110 with a cargo van. He'll help us load and unload. If it's really a 120g then I think 3 guys might be able to carry it but I think a 150 or 180 will need 4. The other company wants $500.

Professionals specialize in large aquariums or just general movers? I got 2 quotes so far and they're like on opposite spectrum. One guy said he'll do it for $110 with a cargo van. He'll help us load and unload. If it's really a 120g then I think 3 guys might be able to carry it but I think a 150 or 180 will need 4. The other company wants $500.
I would not go with the guy that says he'll do it for $110. Breaking down transporting and setting up a 120 gallon tank is going to take ALL DAY, a long day.

Don't overload the livestock in just a few containers. That's a long drive and they will be in the bins for several hours. Get a bunch of styros for the corals depending on the size. You don't want the corals all loaded into the same bin touching and stinging eachother.

I would not go with the guy that says he'll do it for $110. Breaking down transporting and setting up a 120 gallon tank is going to take ALL DAY, a long day.

Don't overload the livestock in just a few containers. That's a long drive and they will be in the bins for several hours. Get a bunch of styros for the corals depending on the size. You don't want the corals all loaded into the same bin touching and stinging eachother.
He would not be helping to break down the tank. I'll do that myself. All I need him for is to help us carry the tank into his van, drive to my house and help us unload the tank. If he's feeling generous then maybe help carry it inside.

There's minimal amount of corals so I'm not too worried about that. The BT I am cause they can get ich so easily.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think storage bins will work better than brute cans. Those cans will want to do whatever it can to flip itself over in the van.

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you keeping the water and sand. I recommend at least 2 trash cans with wheels, long house, pump, towels and extension cords. Then to move the fish I would get the black bins from hd or Costco and a few battery air bubblers. Also have you accounted for traffic. The 120 guy won't have insurance in case the tank crack on the drive home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Specialize in aquariums. This is a lot of work if its a 120, and if its larger, lot more work. Good luck with whatever decision you make.