Identify this!

I started noticing this growing song the perimeter of rock that one of my sponges covers about a month ago. Just the perimeter. Now it covers the whole rock, sort of encrusting, and has now moved on to another rock.

Very cute, very small, very pretty, albeit, not colorful at all. It is almost like a leptostera (sp). But, I've never been great at identifying hitchhikers.

IMG_20180820_142001.jpg
IMG_20180820_142001.jpg
IMG_20180820_141954.jpg

When it first appeared, i thought the xenia which i took great effort to rid from my tank made a comeback, or the cloves jumped over, but it seems to be something much different, much smaller, and does not pulse at all.

If there green and looks like zoas or cloves, then they are anenome manjano. It will take over your tank if not taken care of.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well. Not quite the right size. Majanos, i understand, are about the size of a fingernail, perhaps even a little larger.

These are about the size of a pellet gun bb. Maybe even smaller.

I am pretty sure that is what they are. I don't mind it too much growing out of proportion.this tank is not getting any fancy coral for a long long long long time.

I am pretty sure that is what they are. I don't mind it too much growing out of proportion.this tank is not getting any fancy coral for a long long long long time.
Honestly I would remove it while its still a small area. Its going to spread all over eventually. I had a tank taken over by blue clove polyps. They just start springing up everywhere. But if you like them keep them. Up to you and what you like really anyway.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I witnessed what it did to Cody's tank and the loss of some nice coral trying to eradicate them. It's one of those corals that will out-compete most other corals that get in their way.

Honestly I would remove it while its still a small area. Its going to spread all over eventually. I had a tank taken over by blue clove polyps. They just start springing up everywhere. But if you like them keep them. Up to you and what you like really anyway.
What is your recommended method of eradication

I would break them off the rock, and place them on an isolated rock in the front corner all by themselves....just me. And if they look like they will take over throw rock out, monitor tank of course

I would break them off the rock, and place them on an isolated rock in the front corner all by themselves....just me. And if they look like they will take over throw rock out, monitor tank of course
Certain clove / daisy polyps broadcast spawn so that wouldn't work. Why they start popping up in multiple areas of the tank. Once you realize they have spread its all over.

Certain clove / daisy polyps broadcast spawn so that wouldn't work. Why they start popping up in multiple areas of the tank. Once you realize they have spread its all over.
Gotcha

Latest posts