Order of adding rock/sand

Hi all
I'll be putting rocks to my tank soon as soon as I get some live sand, but I don't know which order should I put them in.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
1) Fill up the tank with mixed saltwater
2) Add the rocks
3) Then add layers of live sand

I'm confuse because I don't know the order to add which one first. Also, when I put in the rocks, should I lay them against the back wall of the tank so they don't fall over, or should I stack em up in the middle of the tank so the fish has room to hide/swim around the back? Please share your experience.
Thanks all
Dylan

Last edited:
I would fill about halfway set the rocks then the sand that way you don't have to worry about sand sifting fish and what not knocking over rocks by digging under them

I suggest do it this way

1, Buy some base rocks (use to be live rock) flat and at least 1" thick, or cave looking, then have everything ready enough water to fill the tank, all rocks and the sand live or CC.

2, Glue the first layer of live rock on to the base rock while outside the tank (just make sure you can put it in the tank) use your imagination on how the formation will look like caves, pillar or arches and let the glue dry "option" just make sure that's the first layer can support the 2nd, 3rd and so on.

3, Now lay at least 1" of sand on the tank bottum, place the rock structure in and check if you like the way it looks, if it good and all the rock structure is in, put all your sand in and spread it even.

4, Now start filling up with salt water, if your using a hose point the hose on the rock not the sand once full, run your circulation use micron filter sock to catch the floating debries at the end of your drain, a good carbon filter will help clear the water too.

Good luck.

I suggest do it this way

1, Buy some base rocks (use to be live rock) flat and at least 1" thick, or cave looking, then have everything ready enough water to fill the tank, all rocks and the sand live or CC.

2, Glue the first layer of live rock on to the base rock while outside the tank (just make sure you can put it in the tank) use your imagination on how the formation will look like caves, pillar or arches and let the glue dry "option" just make sure that's the first layer can support the 2nd, 3rd and so on.

3, Now lay at least 1" of sand on the tank bottum, place the rock structure in and check if you like the way it looks, if it good and all the rock structure is in, put all your sand in and spread it even.

4, Now start filling up with salt water, if your using a hose point the hose on the rock not the sand once full, run your circulation use micron filter sock to catch the floating debries at the end of your drain, a good carbon filter will help clear the water too.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot :) Very clear instructions :)

Put the live sand in first. After the live sand is in SLOWLY put the water in making sure not to displace the sand. It takes more time, but it will be worth it. I helped a friend replace his crushed coral with live sand in a 2+ year old tank this way and he put his corals in after 3 hours with no losses. I didn't think it would work, but it did. Hope this helps.

I usually do sand, water half way, rocks, then fill up all the way. Then add more live sand and rocks in later. As for aquascaping the rocks, it's really up to you. I've done the back glass, to center island to dual island and they all work. It's really up to your preference and the size of your tank. You can do a lot more with wider tanks.

robdawg

I read that rock should go in first so that diggers don't move sand from under the rocks and cause them to topple. Is this not correct or is does it very rarely happen? IDK. Still a newbie, but adding rock and sand as soon as I get enough, so I'm curious.

fran

when I did my 120 I put rock on the bottom then I put in the sand,after the sand I added the next layer of rock,I then started to fill the tank with water making sure tthe water was directed onto the rock and not the sand after filling the tank half way I put in another layer of rock to make shelves or caves and passthrus for the fish after setting that up I continued filling the water after 3/4 full of water I finshed setting the rock then finished with the water.I circulated the water thru the filters and with 2 hours I added corals and fish by the end of the afternoon my tank was complete and didnt lose anything.this has been a week and everything is flurishing and doing great.I dont know if everyone will agree with this but this is what I found to work for myself.It is all on how you want to do it but the thing is dont get stressed and hurry when doing it.Have fun and enjoy setting up your new coral paradise.Good luck

this is only my opinion may not be worth much but just trying to help

What I did was I put in about an inch of sandbed, add water just enough to cover the sand. Then I put in all the rocks .. just how I want them to look like, add a couple inch of water. Then add another 2 inches of sand. I added the 1st inch of sand because aquascaping is a pain in the asz job, it could take hours .. and a lot of times they crash and fall down to the bottom of the tank. Without the 1st inch of sand, the glass in the bottom of the tank could break if big rocks hit it.

I have always put in order:
1. Water
2. After salt is completely mixed, add first layer of sand.
3. Live rock.
4. Final layer of sand.

I like to make sure my SW is thoroughly mixed in the new tank before adding any sand so that undissolved salt doesn't get trapped in the sand or rock.

Roger30

I added rock first, then sand, followed by water. I did not lay rock against the back of the tank so that I could get good circulation around the rocks. Fish love swimming around the rock.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
add the rock first. if you place the rock on top of the sand it will shift later causing more rocks to topple. At the very least some rocks will shift and you will be disappointed about the way your aqua scape looks.

Latest posts