Salinity at 1.028

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
My salinity has crept up to 1.028. I tested because i lost my WTF acro. My alkalinity also rose from 9 to close to 11. Over how long of a period should i lower my salinity?

Sucks because today i am supposed to do a larger water change for the end of my reef flux cycle and i dont wamt to stress the system any further. Probably break it up over the next few days.

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I think I had the same problem couple weeks ago. I just took out some water daily and top off with fresh

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
I plan to do the same pretty much. Have any ill effects on coral at that level?
corals perked up I did lose couple sticks due to rtn but not sure if its from the high salinity from before or bc I got my levels back. I did it pretty slow so and the reason why I noticed my salinity swing was bc of rtning. I do have a ATO and never do water changes for at least 8 months.

I have seen 1.030 and the corals, SPS, are OK. The guy overtime let the salinity creep though. I would lower it down to my liking range. Sorry for the WTF Acro Matt. That is a nice piece.

If your not doing water changes and dosing 2 part your salinity will increase over time. Just remove remove a gallon or 2 when it starts going up and let your ATO make up for it. 2 part is not a balanced system and add to much Chloride and not enough sulfate over time, causing your salinity to increase. Their aother ways to doseand keep the balance.

Dave57

I’ve had salinity creep up to 1.030 before and saw no effects on my sps, most likely rtn was from other values fluctuating. Most likely alkalinity

Latest posts