Feeling frustrated

I have a 200 gl tall acrylic tank. Its fish only. Its stocked with a koran angel, yellow tang, vlamingi tang, naso tang, couple chromis, twin spot wrasse, 12 line, zebra eel, squirrel eye, clown, clown trigger, fox face, coral beauty. The tank has been up and running for about 2 years now. Suddenly all of my fish have started to get cloudy eyes. Ive lost 2 smaller fish. Hawk fish and bengai cardinal... my clown trigger has a very hazy color... nothing looks like ich. But everyone seems to be breathing hard. Just did a 40 gallon water change. Planning to do another large water change. I tested my parameters and everything is near perfect.

Just dont know what to do at this point... feeling frustrated and nervous that im going to start loosing my larger more expensive fish. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Added anything new or changed anything in your routine? Do you make your salt water or buy it? Do you use your own R/O water or buy it?

I'd look at contamination of some type. A few years back my fish started acting weird (sluggish, swimming funny), but I had not added anything new. I decided to swap out all my RO/DI filters including the membrane and replace a lot of the water from a new salt source. Bam, in a few days you could see the difference. Something in the RO/DI unit? Bad batch of salt?

I'd also say look at electrical leaks.

Use someone else's test kit.

As far as water chem. Everything is where it should be. Ph is between 8.2 and 8.4. Ive tested the water and taken samples to my LFS. Everything checks out. I buy my rodi and salt water from the same store. I usually do about 20-30 gallons once every 3-4 weeks. I just did about 40 gl water change and i started to see an improvement but then a week later everything went back to almost worse then before... i havent changed much. I added some new dry rock but that was after i noticed a problem. Around the time it started i put a black out curtain aroubd my stand to help darken my sump... i also noticed my airation pump on my skimmer had gotten stuck. I fixed it but it might still have a problem? Maybe its leaching voltage into the water. Ill have to get a ground. Dont know what else it would be.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you running carbon? I'd run plenty of carbon just in case contaminants made it's way into the tank. It gets overlooked but it happens eg. someone spraying air freshener in the same room as the tank or even those plug ins

Are you running carbon? I'd run plenty of carbon just in case contaminants made it's way into the tank. It gets overlooked but it happens eg. someone spraying air freshener in the same room as the tank or even those plug ins
Im running two bags of carbon... no sprays or plug ins allowed in the house... my wife uses essential oils but has for the last year and its never caused issues in the past. I think i remembered what i might of done... i accidentally dropped a small led flashlight in my sump. I took it out right away but maybe thats what did it...

What you are describing can be signs of Velvet, are your fish more sensitive to light? Most animals have some of these pests living on them, but a new stress factor or aggression can set it off. This can be the end of everything in a Reef Tank, but in a Fish only you can medicate. I am not the best suited to give advice on medications, but if you do not figure out and act quickly you will have heavy losses. Velvet is basically a smaller version of ick on steroids that attacks the gills and eyes first. Cloudy eyes, heavy breathing, and light sensitivity are the tells. Good Luck! ICP test are great, but in 10 days when you get results you will already be too late for many of your fish. When they cant breath they will not last lnong without meds.

Latest posts