Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Feeling frustrated

I have a 200 gl tall acrylic tank. Its fish only. Its stocked with a koran angel, yellow tang, vlamingi tang, naso tang, couple chromis, twin spot wrasse, 12 line, zebra eel, squirrel eye, clown, clown trigger, fox face, coral beauty. The tank has been up and running for about 2 years now. Suddenly all of my fish have started to get cloudy eyes. Ive lost 2 smaller fish. Hawk fish and bengai cardinal... my clown trigger has a very hazy color... nothing looks like ich. But everyone seems to be breathing hard. Just did a 40 gallon water change. Planning to do another large water change. I tested my parameters and everything is near perfect.

Just dont know what to do at this point... feeling frustrated and nervous that im going to start loosing my larger more expensive fish. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often do u fo your wc? How are the temp and pH?

Contributing Member
    Name
    jose Serrano
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, something most likely due to water chemistry

Registered Member
    Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Added anything new or changed anything in your routine? Do you make your salt water or buy it? Do you use your own R/O water or buy it?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd look at contamination of some type. A few years back my fish started acting weird (sluggish, swimming funny), but I had not added anything new. I decided to swap out all my RO/DI filters including the membrane and replace a lot of the water from a new salt source. Bam, in a few days you could see the difference. Something in the RO/DI unit? Bad batch of salt?

I'd also say look at electrical leaks.

Use someone else's test kit.

Registered Member
    Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone else’s test kit is a great idea or take water to 2 different places for testing.

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as water chem. Everything is where it should be. Ph is between 8.2 and 8.4. Ive tested the water and taken samples to my LFS. Everything checks out. I buy my rodi and salt water from the same store. I usually do about 20-30 gallons once every 3-4 weeks. I just did about 40 gl water change and i started to see an improvement but then a week later everything went back to almost worse then before... i havent changed much. I added some new dry rock but that was after i noticed a problem. Around the time it started i put a black out curtain aroubd my stand to help darken my sump... i also noticed my airation pump on my skimmer had gotten stuck. I fixed it but it might still have a problem? Maybe its leaching voltage into the water. Ill have to get a ground. Dont know what else it would be.

Registered Member
    Name
    Newton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd get an ICP test to see if there's any weird stuff in there like excess aluminum, copper, etc.

Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you running carbon? I'd run plenty of carbon just in case contaminants made it's way into the tank. It gets overlooked but it happens eg. someone spraying air freshener in the same room as the tank or even those plug ins
    Professional coral killer

10. Likes djam liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reefes pieces View Post
    Are you running carbon? I'd run plenty of carbon just in case contaminants made it's way into the tank. It gets overlooked but it happens eg. someone spraying air freshener in the same room as the tank or even those plug ins
    Im running two bags of carbon... no sprays or plug ins allowed in the house... my wife uses essential oils but has for the last year and its never caused issues in the past. I think i remembered what i might of done... i accidentally dropped a small led flashlight in my sump. I took it out right away but maybe thats what did it...

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newtybar View Post
    I'd get an ICP test to see if there's any weird stuff in there like excess aluminum, copper, etc.
    Whats an ICP test?

Registered Member
    Name
    Heisenberg Say it!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vette4life04 View Post
    Whats an ICP test?

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/sh...-Right-for-You

Registered Member
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What you are describing can be signs of Velvet, are your fish more sensitive to light? Most animals have some of these pests living on them, but a new stress factor or aggression can set it off. This can be the end of everything in a Reef Tank, but in a Fish only you can medicate. I am not the best suited to give advice on medications, but if you do not figure out and act quickly you will have heavy losses. Velvet is basically a smaller version of ick on steroids that attacks the gills and eyes first. Cloudy eyes, heavy breathing, and light sensitivity are the tells. Good Luck! ICP test are great, but in 10 days when you get results you will already be too late for many of your fish. When they cant breath they will not last lnong without meds.

Registered Member
    Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chloroquine phosphate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I Love Pizza

Thread Information