question on t5

crex111

hey,
ok, i seen alot of stuff online about t5 type lighting. what kind of corals can your raise under this type of lighting ? i got 260 watts of power compact light on my 60 gallon tank and feel like im limited to the corals i can raise under them. if i am going to upgrade to t5s what would you recomend as far as number of bulbs and wattage goes so that there is a somewhat significant improvement from my current set up?

You can have all types of corals.. SPS, LPS, clams etc. I would recommend that you have at least 6 bulbs if you can fit them. Also individual reflectors. Icecap ballasts so you can overdrive the bulbs is good too. I have a 150 with only 6 bulbs. My canopy does not allow more. Not a lot of growth but good growth in my sps. I just put my sps from the middle of the tank to the top. The length of your tank determines the wattage... but the watts per gallon theory is no longer a measurement to be used.

Brock

you are running the same setup I am. 260w of pc's. I just bought a 8 bulb t5 setup it will be here monday. on my pc's I have sps no problem. lower in the tank there is slow growth but up high I get good growth. I will post my impression of the t5s when I get them. 432w should be awesome.

I'm running T5's the only thing if you over drive them from 54w to 80w you will be cutting the bulb's life by min of 1/2 and a max of 2/3 but still cheaper than MH put a lot of flow at the mid and top to get the shimmer effect

I am running 4 T5 2 blue 2 white, as well as 2 175W 14k MH. I like it, if my hood had more room I would Def. Put in more T5's

wwodyz

t5

crex11

got frag of SPS green polyp acro last week. placed it on top and already see growth.

Ben

I am running the aquactinics TX5 and I am happy with my corals growth, I haven't had sps to long so I can't really comment on the growth of the Sps just yet , but I will keep you posted. Oh yeah but the clam is doing great.

Last edited:
t-5 will put out better lighting at lower wattage but you need the individual reflectors to make them effective.